[News] Patents Ruin Research Rather Than Help It

More Examples Of Patents Harming Research

,----[ Quote ]
| A group of scientists are now complaining about this to the EPA, but perhaps
| they should be complaining to the USPTO and Congress, as well, as it's time
| that this sort of abuse of intellectual property was stopped entirely.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090224/0137483881.shtml

IBM sets patent record in ‘08

http://www.ibm.com/news/us/en/2009/01/14/e714183t64858z03.html

Recent:

Apple's View On Patents Then And Now

,----[ Quote ]
| For all the talk among patent system defenders about how patents are most
| necessary for young startup companies that need to grow, most tech startups
| couldn't care much less about patents (other than as a bogus currency to
| increase their valuation in talking to VCs). Startups are focused on actually
| building a product and getting it out to the market. Instead, what we see
| time and time again is that it's the big, more established companies that use
| patents to stifle startups, rather than the other way around. Startups
| innovate, while big companies litigate.
|
| [...]
|
| The company was incredibly open in sharing ideas and concepts, and wasn't
| going around threatening others for ripping off its IP (that did come
| later... especially with the graphical user interface, which Jobs himself
| admitted "ripping off" from Xerox... which had "ripped it off" already from
| SRI). It's really only when you're afraid of competing in the marketplace
| that you rely on patents. When you're young and innovative you focus on the
| possibilities and opportunities in front of you, rather than on ways to block
| others from innovating.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090129/0331363567.shtml

Latha Jishnu: The mouse that bit Microsoft
PATENTLY ABSURD

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.business-standard.com/india/storypage.php?autono=330566