[News] Web Censorship Back on the Ice in Australia

Looks Like Australia's Plan To Censor The Internet Is Dead... Again... For Now

,----[ Quote ]
| While some politicians are still insisting it's necessary, it looks like
| there is no longer enough support in the Australian Senate to pass the law
| that would make such filtering mandatory. In other words, it's yet another
| costly Australian censorship plan down the drain. Until the next one, of
| course.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090226/1232003915.shtml

Chinese internet surveillance boss arrested for bungs

,----[ Quote ]
| A top Chinese censor has been arrested over suspicions he took millions in
| bribes to help a local anti-virus firm to crush a competitor.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/02/27/chinese_censor_cuffed/

Recent:

Recording Industry, Politicians Continue To Give Bogus Reasons To Support 3
Strikes In New Zealand

,----[ Quote ]
| Lawrence D'Oliveiro continues to keep us informed on the more ridiculous
| aspects of the push by both the recording industry and certain politicians in
| New Zealand to push through that country's highly controversial policy to cut
| off file sharers based on accusations rather than actual convictions for file
| sharing. First up is that the country's Prime Minister appears to be flat-out
| lying when he claims that New Zealand has to implement such a plan to remain
| in compliance with international obligations. That's simply not true. He
| claims that other countries, like Australia and the UK have already
| implemented similar plans, but that's also not true. Both countries have
| considered such a plan, but the UK, for instance, has already said that it
| will not require ISPs to cut anyone off the internet. To claim that New
| Zealand has to do so or that other countries have already agreed to the same
| thing is simply untrue.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090224/0212283883.shtml

Et Tu, Lamar?

,----[ Quote ]
| That legislators are more than willing to sacrifice your civil liberties at
| the Altar of Protecting The Children—it’s a political resume builder they can
| take home to their ‘stitch-ee-unts, listed right there beneath helped fight
| the war on terror and above took on the fat cats on Wall Street—isn’t even
| really news anymore. It’s standard fare, really.
|
| This bill specifically requires ISPs to retain for a period of two years
| records identifying users assigned dynamic IP addresses at specific times.
| It’s hard for detractors concerned about privacy, overreaching governmental
| power and authority, and false accusations to object to providing law
| enforcement with the necessary tools to track down child porn peddlers and,
| well, users. (Personally, if we’re absolutely sure of it, I’d just as soon
| have them tarred, feathered, and shot on sight—but this isn’t about that.)
`----

http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/2009/02/20/et-tu-lamar

Comcast to shut down free Usenet access

,----[ Quote ]
| Comcast is just the latest of the large ISPs to buckle under to MAFIAA
| pressure from the music and movie cartels, but that doesn't mean that they
| deserve to get away with this.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/10/07/comcast-shut-free-usenet-access

Usenet: Not Dead Yet

,----[ Quote ]
| Over the last few years, the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA)
| and other organizations looking to eliminate the illegal swapping of digital
| media files have attacked the problem through the courts, publicity
| campaigns, and other means.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/151989-1/usenet_not_dead_yet.html

Comcast, NetZero latest providers to bow to Cuomo's Usenet campaign

,----[ Quote ]
| But in reality, Cuomo's pressure tactics have misfired. They led Time Warner
| Cable to pull the plug on some 100,000 Usenet discussion groups, including
| such hotbeds of illicit content as talk.politics and
| misc.activism.progressive. Verizon Communications deleted such unlawful
| discussion groups as us.military, ny.politics, alt.society.labor-unions, and
| alt.politics.democrats. AT&T and Time Warner Cable have taken similar steps.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-10002624-38.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Verizon offers details of Usenet deletion: alt.* groups, others gone

,----[ Quote ]
| Cuomo claimed that his office found child porn on 88 newsgroups--out of
| roughly 100,000 newsgroups that exist. In a press release, he took credit for
| the companies' blunderbuss-style newsgroup removal by saying: "We are
| attacking this problem by working with Internet service providers...I commend
| the companies that have stepped up today to embrace a new standard of
| responsibility, which should serve as a model for the entire industry."
|
| [...]
|
| What this means in practice is that, thanks to the New York state attorney
| general, Verizon customers will lose out on innocent discussions. Verizon is
| retaining only eight newsgroup hierarchies, even though over 1,000
| hierarchies exist.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-9967119-38.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Usenet Villified In NY Deal With ISPs