[News] Why the Latest Xfce Release is Important

The little Linux desktop that could: Xfce 4.6 released

,----[ Quote ]
| GNOME and KDE get all the attention these days, but Linux users looking for a
| lightweight desktop environment would do well to consider Xfce. The project
| has come a long way since the days it was a clone of the hideous Common
| Desktop Environment (CDE), and is still going strong, and came out with the
| 4.6 release today with a ton of improvements. Xfce is a prime example of why
| duplication is sometimes a good thing in the FOSS arena.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/community/?p=185

Recent:

Xfce 4.6 final released

,----[ Quote ]
| After more than two years of development, Xfce has been updated to version
| 4.6 which includes several bug fixes and new features. The open source
| desktop environment for Unix and Linux platforms aims to be fast and
| lightweight, while still being visually appealing and adhering to standards.
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/133680

A Visual Tour of Xfce 4.6.0

,----[ Quote ]
| Since desktop icons have been introduced in Xfce 4.4, people have expressed
| the need to allow the selection of multiple icons (rubber banding). With Xfce
| 4.6, the Xfdesktop manager finally implements this feature: you can select
| multiple icons, move them, remove them, etcetera...
`----

http://www.xfce.org/about/tour

Xfce 4.6 Release Candidate 1 (Capybara) released

,----[ Quote ]
| Shortly after Beta 3, we are pleased to announce the first Release Candidate
| for Xfce 4.6. If no serious bugs are found, this is going to be the state of
| the final release (plus translation updates). This Release Candidate is the
| first 4.6 release that comes with graphical installers for the main
| components and goodies.
`----

http://www.xfce.org/about/news?id=20

Xfce 4.6 Beta 3 (Tuco-Tuco) released

,----[ Quote ]
| I am pleased to announce the release of Xfce 4.6 BETA-3.
`----

http://www.xfce.org/about/news?id=19

Related:

The 5 Best Xfce - based Linux Distributions

,----[ Quote ]
| I’ve been talking a lot about window managers and desktop environments.
| Nowadays most major distros simply go for KDE or GNOME, but it is not very
| common to see a distro use XFCE. This is a very sleek and useful little
| desktop environment, which provides great GTK compatibility and increases
| speed. Today we’ll take a quick look at which distros you should choose if
| you wish to have an instant Xfce experience.
`----

http://www.internetling.com/2008/10/18/the-5-best-xfce-based-linux-distributions/

Xfce 4.6 Beta 2 (Hopper) released

,----[ Quote ]
| The second Beta was delayed for 2 weeks, but it was worth it.
| every feature we made a freeze-exception for has made it into this release.
| This means a lot of bugs have been fixed this time aswell:
|
| - The keyboard-shortcuts for xfwm4 can be configured again. (now with
|   conflict handling)
| - Session-management has been improved, apps will now be automatically
|   restarted if they die unexpected
| - It is now possible to set the desktop wallpaper from the thunar right-click
|   menu
`----

http://www.xfce.org/about/news?id=18

Xfce 4.4.3 released

,----[ Quote ]
| Just because we're gearing up to release 4.6.0, it doesn't mean we've
| forgotten the 4.4 branch. A bunch of bug fixes had accumulated since 4.4.2,
| so we have a new release for you.
`----

http://www.xfce.org/about/news?id=17

Xfce 4.6 ALPHA ('Pinkie') released

,----[ Quote ]
| After about 18 months of development, we are pleased to announce the release
| of Xfce 4.6 ALPHA, codename 'Pinkie'.
|
| Xfce 4.6 is going to be the next major release of the Xfce desktop
| environment. The previous release was 4.4 with the last bugfix release being
| 4.4.2 released in December 2007.
`----

http://www.xfce.org/about/news?id=15

Xfce 4.6 Alpha Available With New Features

,----[ Quote ]
| The final release of the Xfce 4.6 desktop environment was supposed to come
| this month, but instead the first alpha release has finally come about. Xfce
| 4.4 was originally released in January of 2007, so it has been quite a while
| since this lightweight desktop environment has received a major update. This
| release though does introduce a fair number of changes, which we have covered
| in this article.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=xfce46_alpha&num=1

New Xfce beta focuses on usability