[News] IBM and H-P Target Small Businesses and Offer GNU/Linux

IBM Tackles SMBs with Smart Cubes, Smart Market, and a Bit of i

,----[ Quote ]
| IBM has officially launched its Smart Market effort in the United States. In
| addition to the pilot in India, U.S. small business customers can now buy the
| appliance-like IBM Smart Cubes that run IBM i or Linux--but the operating
| system is the last thing IBM is promoting with its new Smart Market efforts.
`----

http://blogs.systeminetwork.com/isnblogs/maxedout/2009/05/ibm_tackles_smbs_with_smart_cu.html

HP upgrades mobile and desktop thin clients

,----[ Quote ]
| Separately on Wednesday, HP rolled out improvements to its desktop-based
| Windows and Linux thin clients that will improve security of the devices, and
| simplify setup and integration with VMware View and Citrix XenDesktop
| virtualization platforms.
| While HP is integrating with third-party virtualization tools, Tad Bodeman,
| HP's thin client marketing director, denies a rumor that HP is exiting the
| virtual desktop infrastructure market altogether.
`----

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2009/052709-hp-upgrades-mobile.html?hpg1=bn

Recent:

Imagine a Microsoft-Free Life

,----[ Quote ]
| As part of the announcement, Big Blue also claimed that in a likely
| configuration -- a full Linux suite that included Lotus Notes e-mail,
| Sametime instant messaging, and some other collaboration tools -- the entire
| set-up would cost just $258 per user -- and that's not including the labor
| and maintenance savings that would come from shifting processing from the PC
| to the server in the network settings where this product is targeted to be
| sold. That's hundreds of dollars less than a comparable Vista/Office license.
`----

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/IndustryInfo/story?id=6395569&page=1

Related:

IBM wants clients to ditch Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| TEAMING UP WITH Virtual Bridges and Ubuntu provider Canonical, IBM has
| started offering a virtual desktop package with three software components all
| sitting on one corporate server, which the firm hopes will lure customers
| away from Microsoft.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/12/04/ibm-wants-clients-ditch

IBM takes on VMware virtual desktop

,----[ Quote ]
| IBM is taking on VMware's virtual desktop infrastructure with its own Linux
| and Lotus-based virtual desktop.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/12/04/ibm_linux_lotus_virtual_desktop/

IBM and Ubuntu team up for "Microsoft-free" desktops

,----[ Quote ]
| A new project spearheaded by IBM aims to convince companies to
| run "Microsoft-free" virtual desktops.
|
| Big Blue is partnering with Ubuntu distributor, Canonical, and virtual
| desktop firm Virtual Bridges to deliver an all-in-one package for companies.
`----

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/240783/ibm-and-ubuntu-team-up-for-microsoftfree-desktops.html

IBM Virtual Desktop Bundles Lotus, Ubuntu Linux to Freeze Out Microsoft

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/IT-Infrastructure/IBM-Virtual-Desktop-Bundles-Lotus-Ubuntu-Linux-to-Freeze-Out-Microsoft/

Would you buy a Microsoft-less desktop?

,----[ Quote ]
| At the same time, because it's Linux-based, this do-it-all business desktop
| would also be cheaper to administer since almost all of the security risks
| from viruses and malware disappear along with Windows. Any fair comparison
| between one of these Linux desktops and its Windows equivalent will show that
| the Linux system will be cheaper to buy in the first place and to maintain.
`----

http://blogs.computerworld.com/would_you_buy_a_microsoft_less_desktop

Of Kids and Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| LinuxWorld is planning a good old-fashioned install-fest for their San
| Francisco conference. And if you have an old PC or can bluff your way through
| an Ubuntu install, you're invited to participate. More information at
| Untangle's site, who is sponsoring the event.
|
| [...]
|
| It's a good time to be bringing it up, because IBM has announced a stronger
| push for Linux PCs.
|
| Now, certainly, I'm not one of those prophets who go around predicting "the
| year of Linux on the desktop". There is no such animal. That isn't how open
| source grows. Open source grows slowly, a step at a time. But inevitably.
| Once a person has seen Linux for themselves, they are cured forever of the
| FUD spread about it. One by one, household by household. And most certainly
| generation by generation.
`----

http://penguinpetes.com/b2evo/index.php?title=of_kids_and_linux&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1
http://tinyurl.com/5pmkeg

IBM launching a platform for SMB opportunity

,----[ Quote ]
| It runs on Linux and encompasses everything an SMB would need from an IT
| perspective, including e-mail and collaboration with Lotus Notes and Domino,
| file management, directory services, back-up and recovery, firewall,
| anti-virus, anti-spam and the Lotus Symphony office suite.
|
| “We've completely masked all the administration complexity usually associated
| with these systems so its transparent to the SMB,” said Sean Poulley,
| vice-president of online collaboration services on the IBM software
| group. “What we've also done is completely masked Linux from the end user,
| and if you don't think that's possible you've never used TiVo.”
`----

http://www.itbusiness.ca/it/client/en/home/News.asp?id=48224&cid=6

Microsoft: NetBooks Affecting Windows Revenue

,----[ Quote ]
| Matt Rosoff, an analyst with Kirkland, Wash.-based research firm Directions
| On Microsoft, said one area of concern for Microsoft is the falling
| percentage of premium priced versions of Windows versus non-premium versions,
| which could be the result of more people buying NetBooks.
`----

http://www.crn.com/software/211600321

IBM to offer Linux machines

,----[ Quote ]
| The machines, it was announced, will come with Red Hat's Linux distro, and
| will come pre-loaded with software from IBM, including its Lotus Symphony
| suite.
`----

http://www.pcretailmag.com/news/29500/IBM-to-offer-Linux-machines

IBM, allies offer Microsoft-free PCs for E.Europe

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/marketsNews/idINL0486847020080304?rpc=44