[News] Former Novell Employee and Gnote Developer Dislikes Mono

Striking the Right Gnote

,----[ Quote ]
| Not that Figuiere is a Mono advocate. But his opposition over the years has
| been more practical than philosophical. For instance, in several discussion
| threads about Including Mono in GNOME on the desktop-devel-list in July 2006,
| Figuiere objected to shipping Mono-based apps on the grounds that the
| language required a lot of disk space, but was supporting only minor
| applications -- and he made the same objection to Python, a far less
| contentious programming language.
|
| This objection, incidentally, is one that he continues to hold today. Gnote,
| he tells me, "has all to do with the burden of carrying runtime systems
| designed to make the programmer's life easier (but not the users'). Had
| Tomboy been written in Python, it would have gotten the same treatment."
|
| Of course, Figuiere might have soured on Mono after being laid off at Novell
| in February. But, if he did, it would be strange if he continued to use what
| he describes as an "openSUSE 11.1 custom build with SUSE Studio with some
| custom packages" -- free software versions of Novell's own products.
`----

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/3822091/Striking-the-Right-Gnote.htm

Days ago:

Getting to know Gnote

,----[ Quote ]
| What is a big deal is that Gnote does what I need it to do. The controvery
| surrounding it be hanged (and you can use your favourite search engine to
| learn about the controversy). I like Gnote. It’s useful. And until something
| better comes along, it’s going to be my note application of choice
`----

http://scottnesbitt.net/ubuntublog/?p=444

The elusive, royalty-free patent licence for Mono

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/25215/1090/