[News] GNU/Linux Starts the Week with Glass of Wine and Lots of Good news

Linux Monday: A Glass of WINE

,----[ Quote ]
| The biggest problem most people have with making The Big Move from Windows to
| Linux, indeed the problem I had, is the One Critical App. Yes, you say, the
| cost is great, the security is better, the use of resources is better, I even
| like the open source philosophy. But there's this one program I absolutely
| can't live without, and it won't work.
|
| [...]
|
| Crossover Office really isn't in the open source spirit. It's based on WINE
| but contains additional, proprietary code and costs money. They had a free
| download day last fall, when I grabbed it, but normally each
| version--Crossover Linux, Crossover Mac and Crossover Games--is $39.95. I'd
| call it good value for the money.
`----

http://jdeeth.blogspot.com/2009/05/linux-monday-glass-of-wine.html

Softpedia Linux Weekly, Issue 46

,----[ Quote ]
| This week's editorial talks about the Ubuntu Developers Summit. In the Linux
| distribution announcement section you will find the following releases:
| Clonezilla Live 1.2.2-14, Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4.8, NetSecL 2.4, ArtistX
| 0.7 and Puppy Linux 4.2.1. In other news: AMD announced the release of ATI
| Catalyst 9.5 video driver suite for Linux systems and the GNOME developers
| released the second maintenance version of GNOME 2.26. Last week we also
| published an in-depth review of the Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty Jackalope) operating
| system. The weekly ends with the video clip of the week, the latest Linux
| distributions released/updated last week and the development releases.
`----

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Softpedia-Linux-Weekly-Issue-46-112453.shtml

In Microsoft news, closure, cancellation, layoffs, bad reviews and another
executive jumping ship.

Recent:

Migrating to Desktop Linux: What is the Big Deal? Answer: Nothing.

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://blog.linuxtoday.com/blog/2009/05/migrating-to-li.html

| work to do."
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/151568/ballmer_still_searching_for_an_answer_to_google.html

Microsoft and Its Three Biggest Threats

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft sees Linux as a much more significant competitor, even though its
| share of the desktop OS market is small. Here's why: "I think the dynamic
| with Linux is changing somewhat," Ballmer said at the meeting. "I assume
| we're going to see Android-based, Linux-based laptops, in addition to phones.
| We'll see Google more as a competitor in the desktop operating system
| business than we ever have before."
`----

http://www.serverwatch.com/eur/article.php/3808396

Microsoft CEO Scoffs at Mac Share Gains