Re: [News] Nokia Moves to GNU/Linux for Phones

____/ Matt on Sunday 24 May 2009 11:18 : \____

http://arstechnica.com/open-source/news/2009/05/alleged-nokia-linux-smartphone-plans-exposed-by-leak.ars

>>> from the same link:
>>> (((((

>>> )))))
>>
>> It is odd that they choose to maintain two separate codebases, one of which
>> simply has a huge userbase.
>

> There has to be a slow transition from S60 to Linux (Maemo and/or
> oFono).  Developers will be reluctant to target Linux alone.  Those who
> develop for Qt (and perhaps other cross-platform APIs) can
> simultaneously target S60, Windows CE, Linux, and (presumably in the
> future) iPhone OS---as well as all major desktop OSes!  Because of the
> large OS diversity in the smartphone market, cross-platform development
> will be irresistible there.  I don't think Nokia can stop making S60
> phones until existing S60-specific apps are ported to Qt or replaced by
> Qt apps, and that may take years.
>
> Roy, I think that cross-platform development will be important in mobile
> computing soonest, due to the greater OS diversity there.  The apps
> built for mobile computing will spill immediately to the desktop.  That
> spillover together with accelerating decline in Windows' desktop usage
> (read: increased desktop OS diversity) will generate a kind of awakening
> to the benefits and necessity of cross-platform development for the
> desktop.  When cross-platform apps satisfy all the needs of say
> two-thirds of people, Windows lockin is basically broken, and usage of
> the minority OSes will grow at the expense of Windows usage.

They can also use VirtuaLogix to run several OSes of their choice at once,
assuming there is no licensing fee (Nokia can make both Maemo and Symbian
free -- gratis and libre).

- --
                ~~ Best of wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: Every polar bear is left-handed