Re: Linux gaining Desktop share by the day

Goblin wrote:
Whilst I use 100% Linux systems at home and only torture myself with Vista at work, Ive said for a while that the market share/penetration of Linux is a double edged sword (IMO)

I dont think it can be argued that Linux is now more popular than its ever been (whatever figure you want to put on it) however consider that Linux has been moving along quite happily all these years without todays surge in popularity.

I have said on numerous occasions that I believe the binary slug of Windows is partly the responsibility of its users as Microsoft has (IMO) pandered to them and tried to make a "jack of all trades" OS to please everyone. The result is (IMO) a bloated and buggy piece of coding that leaves many users getting little benefit from it but just like a drug addict cannot function without it.

Do we really want to see Linux with the market share? Forgetting that at least partly, the reason why Linux is so secure is because the exploits/malware etc aimed at the Windows users are viable because there are so many more Windows users. If Linux was in Windows position, would we see the same?

How would Canonical react to a user base of billions? How would Linux as a whole cope with the numerous requests and demands of a massive amount of users that want something done with a single click and are not interested in learning anything?

I love Linux, I, like every other Linux user has spent considerable time learning the system. Next time you are on your distros forums look in the help section for a new user posting something like "why cant I get the spinning cube to work like on Youtube?" and then consider that Windows has many of these users who are wholly unsuitable for Linux.

Is this the type of user we want coming over to the Linux platform?
Only if we want to see our beloved distros end up like Vista (IMO)

Lets hope that the Linux user base continues to grow with users who want to learn a new system and want a change. Lets also hope that Microsoft keeps the users who, IMO are responsible for what we see in Windows today.

Goblin
http://www.openbytes.wordpress.com

With any GPL'ed software, you can always go off on your own, or with as many friends as you can gather, and make it what you want it to be. Each of the larger distros now have million of users. If ten years from now, Linux usage is say 20% instead of 1% or 2%, and there are 200 million Linux users, I see no reason why you couldn't build a purist's distro that has certain practical barriers to the kind of people you might want to exclude, just as there are now. There will always be a core of Linux users who are as technically inclined as the average Linux user is now. It is just that in the future there will also be many Linux users who are far less technically inclined. I don't know why there wouldn't still be enough people to support the kind of distro or even the kind of kernel you prefer.