[News] Major Update for Linux Game Engine and More Games

Linux MMORPG Game Engine Sees Major Update

,----[ Quote ]
| Regnum Online, a Massively Multi-player Online Role Playing Game that has a
| native Linux client offered by its developers (NGD Studios), has received a
| major overhaul. Regnum Online is one of the very few MMORPGs that has a
| native Linux client, but now its own game engine got a whole lot more
| powerful. The game engine has been reworked greatly and is now known as
| NG3D2.0, but later this year they already plan to introduce another major
| update on top of that.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzI4NA

Mystic Mine Sale

,----[ Quote ]
| Koonsolo is starting production on their next game, but as you might know
| this can be quite costly especially for a small game developer. In order to
| gain some funds quickly, they are doing a promotion and sell their current
| game ‘Mystic Mine‘ at a huge price discount!
`----

http://www.linuxgames.com/archives/13803

Vendetta Online launches Dynamic Warfare.

,----[ Quote ]
| With the Friday night release, Linux-friendly space MMO Vendetta Online has
| launched Dynamic Warfare: a new long-term battle and large-scale warfare
| mechanic designed to permit factional conquest of geographical areas.
`----

http://www.linuxgames.com/archives/13812

Recent:

Talking To The Developers Of The Unigine Engine

,----[ Quote ]
| While the Unigine game engine may not be as widely known or used as the
| Unreal or id Tech engines, its capabilities and features have been increasing
| at an incredible rate. Last year there were two tech demos released by
| Unigine Corp to demonstrate the capabilities of their proprietary engine --
| both of which were very impressive -- but since then their software stack has
| picked up a slew of new features like improved physics and multiplayer
| support. This year they are slated to release a new in-house game / tech demo
| that will be even more impressive and will go head-to-head with the latest
| high-end commercial game engines. Through all of their game engine
| development work, they continue to support Linux gaming, so we recently
| carried out an interview with them to learn more about their current and
| future work.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=unigine_interview&num=1

New Unigine Project Will Work On Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Unigine Corp has done a phenomenal job with its multi-platform game engine in
| delivering a new level of OpenGL realism to Linux users -- albeit it can tax
| your hardware quite a bit. Last year's engine was amazing, but as we shared
| last week, they are working on a host of new features, including but not
| limited to multiplayer and physics support. They also have a few internal
| projects they have been working on.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzIyOQ

Open-source Flash Game Engine Now In Open Beta

,----[ Quote ]
| When it comes to gaming, the most popular platform isn’t the Nintendo Wii,
| but Flash, the interactive browser plugin that now boasts 99 percent market
| penetration on nearly a billion PCs. (Flash game advertising network Mochi
| Media currently counts 100 million players across its system alone.) That
| huge audience has led to a lot of games, but most of them are rudimentary at
| best, the product of amateur enthusiasts working with limited resources.
| That’s why I was excited to hear about PushButton, a Flash game engine from a
| team of seasoned game developers that’s free, open source, and associated
| with an innovative revenue model that should help spur its adoption.
`----

http://gigaom.com/2009/03/28/pushbutton-open-source-flash-game-engine/

Related:

Profs Building Open-Source Educational Gaming Engine

,----[ Quote ]
| Washington State University Vancouver professor Scott Wallace and University
| of Puget Sound computer science professor Andrew Nierman were recently
| awarded a $150,000 grant from the National Science Foundation to build a
| gaming engine designed to make learning computer science more absorbing for
| students.
`----

http://campustechnology.com/articles/49650/

QuakeCon Wrapup [with John Carmack]

,----[ Quote ]
| Q: I wanted to say thank you for open-sourcing the Quake 3 engine, it's made
| a huge difference to the community. I wanted to ask your opinion about the
| future of Linux and open source gaming.
|
| A: I do take a great deal of personal pride and satisfaction with what I've
| been able to do with getting so much of the stuff out. Sometimes I think
| about it, and while I know it's not something I'm generally considered for, I
| may be one of the most prolific open source authors considering all the code
| that I've written over the last 15 years that I've made open source, or have
| made open source there.
`----

http://www.linuxgames.com/news/feedback.php?identiferID=9374&action=flatview

Quake 4 v1.4.2

,----[ Quote ]
| id Software has made the 1.4.2 Point Release for Quake 4 available.
`----

http://www.linuxgames.com/news/feedback.php?identiferID=9245&action=flatview

Quake 4 On XP, Vista, & Linux

,----[ Quote ]