Re: [News] Mobile Linux as Important (if Not More Important) Than Desktop Linux

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

Open source must move from desktop to mobile

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux International executive director Jon ‘maddog’ Hall looks forward to a | time when users aren’t forced into ‘closed’ relationships with phone | providers. `----

http://www.itpro.co.uk/610955/open-source-must-move-from-desktop-to-mobile

same link:
(((((
Hall said that platforms like Android were open only if a user was allowed to be. This meant that Android phones could, in theory, be just as closed as an iPhone.

He said: “If you buy a phone from T-Mobile that is running Android like the G1, it is locked to the vendor and the image is signed, so you can’t change it and boot it.”

“Because it is locked, all the advantages of openness goes away” Hall added.
)))))

Recent:

Analyst forecasts 900% Android phone sales growth

,----[ Quote ]
| Android-based smartphones will ship in massive numbers this year - at least
| compared to last year's total, market watcher Strategy Analytics has
| forecast.
|
| In its latest report, the firm predicted that Android smartphone shipments
| will increase a whopping 900 per cent during 2009 over last year. Shipments
| of Apple’s iPhone will grow 79 per cent this year, SA said.
`----

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2009/05/11/strategy_analyitcs_android/

T-Mobile to Launch Many Android Devices Later This Year

,----[ Quote ]
| T-Mobile USA is looking to introduce Android-based devices from three
| different manufacturers, Cole Brodman, chief technology officer of the
| company, said in a conversation with me earlier today. Android is a mobile OS
| developed by Mountain View, Calif.-based technology giant, Google.
`----

http://gigaom.com/2009/05/08/t-mobile-to-launch-many-android-devices-later-this-year/

T-Mobile to Use Google Software in Devices for Home

,----[ Quote ]
| T-Mobile is planning an aggressive push deep into the home with a variety of
| communications devices that will use Google’s new Android operating software
| that already runs one of its cellphones.
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/06/technology/companies/06android.html?ref=business

T-Mobile exec praises Android, attacks Windows

,----[ Quote ]
| Reinhard Clemens, chief executive of Deutsche Telekom subsidiary T-Systems,
| is quoted in Fierce Wireless as saying Android is "the first OS that enables
| the development of cellphone software without the need to change the code to
| support specific handsets", and claiming "Windows Mobile devours simply too
| much energy, and the user needs to be close to a power socket if they intend
| to use a Windows Mobile handset with the OS for any length of time".
`----

http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,1000000567,10012305o-2000331761b,00.html

T-Mobile Drops The Mother of All Bombshells - More G Series in ‘09!

,----[ Quote ]
| In a Fierce Wireless interview dated earlier today, T-Mobile let slip a real
| doozy.  Apparently the 4th largest carrier in the US is not going to rest on
| the laurels of the G1.
`----

http://androidguys.com/?p=3500

T-Mobile G1