[News] Signs of Strength for Free Software in Education

Students Adore Moodle

,----[ Quote ]
| And that was how Moodle was born. Soon after it was invented, Moodle's
| popularity grew rapidly in schools and colleges around the world. The stories
| I hear from teachers who are using Moodle are deeply intriguing. Moodle
| works, and it works very well.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/165289/article.html

Recent:

Moodle: a Flexible, Open Source Online Learning Platform

,----[ Quote ]
| Among many universities that use Moodle to deliver online courses, U.C.
| Berkeley offers Moodle-based, free online courses and lectures. It’s also
| used for e-learning purposes on over 40,000 web sites.
`----

http://webworkerdaily.com/2008/09/16/moodle-a-flexible-open-source-online-learning-platform/

Moodle - the open source software that's getting serious

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the biggest outbreaks of open source software has been in the learning
| business and a clear leader is emerging - software called Moodle, now used
| for on-line learning on 40,000 web sites.
`----

http://www.onrec.com/newsstories/21153.asp

HowToMoodle: OSS Learning Platform Goes Pro

,----[ Quote ]
| Moodle is used for online learning on some 40,000 Web sites, but UK training
| managers have been slow to react. "They are used to proprietary software, but
| this is very often costly to adopt, with heavy license fees that can be
| expensive if large numbers of people are involved.
|
| [...]
|
| "Moodle has been like a lot of open source software, where development has
| been left to individual innovation and training.
|
| "We decided to introduce an element of professionalism into the business."
|
| "We are now training and supporting organizations all over the UK as the
| recognized center of Moodle support," Lawrence added.

Taking the Open Road: University Libraries Explore Options

,----[ Quote ]
| Open source learning management system Moodle alone is now used in 56
| percent of universities since its introduction three years ago, and
| the Open University has moved over to it wholesale. Supporters say
| open source LMS tend to be more modular and make it much easier for
| libraries to contribute content than is the case with
| commercial solutions.

Kineo predicts growth in open source e-learning and provides free insights

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.clickpress.com/releases/Detailed/22873005cp.shtml