[News] Microsoft is Out, GNU/Linux is in, Study Agrees

Opinion: Microsoft’s out, Linux is in. Ubuntu 9.04, I hear your call…

,----[ Quote ]
| A new global survey was published yesterday by IBM entitled Linux Desktop
| Easier to Deploy Than Expected. This announcement follows another one on the
| same day entitled Gruppo Amadori to Roll out Linux-based Desktops with IBM
| Software to Cut Costs. Intel has also recently made a strong push toward
| Linux for its Moblin 2.0 operating system for netbooks, a thin version of
| Linux with a special desktop designed to make using the mobile device easy.
| (By the way, Geek.com will have a review of Moblin 2.0 out soon.)
`----

http://www.geek.com/articles/chips/opinion-microsofts-out-linux-is-in-ubuntu-904-i-hear-your-call-20090522/

Linux Desktop Stats: Wrong Question, Wrong Answers

,----[ Quote ]
| The problem, as some experts have pointed out, is that the Linux distribution
| model makes a mockery of conventional market-share reporting efforts. That's
| not exactly hot news, either: Nearly a decade ago, critics were raising
| exactly the same objections to similar attempts to quantify the desktop Linux
| user base.
|
| But there is a bigger problem here: Numbers like these say nothing useful
| about when, where, or why businesses are deploying desktop Linux within their
| organizations.
|
| Another recent study, however, addresses these questions far more
| effectively. For starters, "Linux On The Desktop: Lessons From Mainstream
| Business Adoption," conducted by Freeform Dynamics and sponsored by IBM,
| works with a sizable statistical sample: 1,275 IT professionals in the United
| States, Western Europe, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand.
`----

http://www.bmighty.com/blog/main/archives/2009/05/linux_marketsha.html

Related:

Feeling the heat at Microsoft