Re: [News] GNU/Linux Wins on OLPC, Freedom Wins

> ____/ Terry Porter on Thursday 21 May 2009 22:50 : \____

>>> It's a hollow victory.
>>>
>>> Microsoft never seriously expected XP to be popular on the XO - but by
>>> bullying Negropronte into submission, they destroyed the reputation of
>>> what was supposed to be a purely altruistic effort based on altruistic
>>> principles and altruistic software.
>>> Microsoft's goal was to change the
>>> perception that the OLPC was a charity, selfless and noble, to that of
>>> just another company selling products.
>>
>> Microsoft certainly accomplished that. It's a shame that Nick didnt listen
>> to those like Walter Bender when he could have.
>>
>> I'll be he regrets that now.
>
> Yes, people stopped advocating OLPC after he had signed that agreement or
> whatever with Microsoft. OLPC without the public support is no OLPC.

Unfortunately, complaining after the fact about MS's tactics just
doesn't cut the mustard.  Once OLPC had an XP element, it really was
game over.  The slightly surprising thing for me is that NN ever
believed anything that anyone from MS said - their history is published
all over the net.  They are not an honest organisation.

--
| mark at ellandroad dot demon dot co dot uk                           |
| Open platforms prevent vendor lock-in.  Own your Own services!       |