[News] RIAA Commits Suicide by Suing Customers

The RIAA Has Got to Stop

,----[ Quote ]
| I ask this simple question: If there's a band out there whose CD I would buy,
| how am I supposed to discover this band? Tell me how! Is Rush Limbaugh going
| to play them?
|
| The current mechanism for discovery is arcane and getting worse by the day,
| as thousands of incredibly mediocre musicians muddy the water with MySpace
| pages, free downloads, and Web sites. The worst bands of the old punk-rock
| era sound like Mozart compared with some of the no-talents flooding the
| market with their wailing.

The 14 Most Ridiculous Lawsuits Filed by the RIAA and the MPAA

,----[ Quote ]
| Nine years ago the RIAA won a groundbreaking suit against Napster.com in what
| would become the beginning of a nearly decade-long flood of litigation.
`----

http://brainz.org/14-most-ridiculous-lawsuits-filed-riaa-and-mpaa/

Recent:

Obama Administration Claims Copyright Treaty Involves State Secrets?!?

,----[ Quote ]
| When the Obama administration took over, there was a public stance that this
| administration was going to be more transparent -- especially with regards to
| things like Freedom of Information Act requests. The nonprofit group
| Knowledge Ecology International took that to heart and filed an FOIA request
| to get more info on ACTA. The US Trade Representative's Office responded
| denying the request, saying that the information was "classified in the
| interest of national security pursuant to Executive Order 12958." This is a
| treaty about changing copyright law, not sending missiles somewhere. To claim
| that it's a national security matter is just downright scary. As KEI points
| out, the text of the documents requested have been available to tons of
| people, including more than 30 governments around the world and lobbyists
| from the entertainment industry, pharma industry and publishing industry.

ACTA and other monsters discussed behind Council closed doors

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.digitalmajority.org/forum/t-94989/acta-and-other-monsters-discussed-behind-council-closed-doors