[News] Uberlist of Free Software Gems, Evidence of Expansion

100 open source gems - part 1

,----[ Quote ]
| KDE, Gnome, OpenOffice.org and Firefox - all great software, and all powerful
| proponents of the free software software movement. But there are thousands of
| other applications out there that are worth trying, so in every issue of
| Linux Format magazine we highlight some of the best new open source programs
| that have been released or updated recently.
`----

http://tuxradar.com/content/100-open-source-gems-part-1

Software programmers get physical

,----[ Quote ]
| Open-source software ideas are also now moving into hardware, said Rodgers,
| who cited the Arduino, an open-source electronics prototyping platform, as an
| example of hardware that appeals to software-oriented tinkerers. Projects
| like Arduino will make it easier, he said, for programmers to break down the
| wall between software and circuit boards.
`----

http://www.boston.com/jobs/news/articles/2009/05/18/software_programmers_get_physical/

Recent:

12 Open Source Games that Don't Suck

,----[ Quote ]
| Open source rocks. A year or two ago I had no idea what was available out
| there for free...well, except for the torrent sites, not that I ever visited
| any of those. ;) From entire operating systems to just about any sort of
| application under the sun, you can find open source and/or free software. Not
| to mention other free fun stuff (like pr0n :p). Just finding
| www.openoffice.org was amazing for me, and 7-zip, and of course Firefox, and
| Thunderbird.. the list goes on, and I'm not including all the fun stuff I
| have found since I started using Linux.
`----

http://nixiepixel.com/blog/index.php/open-source-games-best-linux-windows

OSS Gaming: Ready for the Big Leagues?

,----[ Quote ]
| Tux is no mere drone -- he likes having fun every now and then. When it comes
| to gaming, open source tools and applications have a lot to offer developers,
| but that's not where it stops. Open source games themselves can be had for
| little or no cost, and a lot of them offer just as much baddy-blasting
| entertainment as proprietary titles.
`----

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/64919.html

Related:

Linux to game developers: No More Excuses

,----[ Quote ]
| Dell just showed us that the old "lack of market demand" excuse for
| Linux is falling flat. 200,000 users flooded Dell with requests
| for Linux pre-installed on their machines. That's just one
| manufacturer! Never mind the hundreds of thousands of Linux users,
| such as I, who gave up on Dell years ago.
|
| Previous to the Dell fiasco, I might have had my doubts about the
| commercial interests of Linux. But the last straw man has been
| beaten; from here on out, if you run a technology company and
| refuse to support Linux, it's because history's biggest and most
| oppressive monopoly is paying you not to.
`----

http://penguinpetes.com/b2evo/index.php?title=linux_to_game_developers_no_more_excuses&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1
http://tinyurl.com/yp2se2

Playing Classic Games Under Ubuntu

,----[ Quote ]
| Now if you still want to relive your old days and play these classics
| whether they belong to NES, SNES, or plain old DOS games Ubuntu
| provides a way of playing these classic on your Linux box.
`----

http://linuxondesktop.blogspot.com/2007/03/playing-classic-games-under-ubuntu.html

Linux Gaming Made Easy

,----[ Quote ]