Re: Newspapers and Sony Attack the Internet

On May 19, 1:51 pm, Chris Ahlstrom <ahlstr...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> After takin' a swig o' grog, cc belched out
>   this bit o' wisdom:
>
> > TV ads have historically generated enough revenue. It's possible that
> > online ads could reach that potential, Google makes a profit from
> > online ads albeit in a different sense, but so far not many people are
> > making money from ads alone. It's nice to say that news/music/movies/
> > software/etc. should be provided for free, but it costs money to
> > create and supply that content in the first place.
>
> Not quite true.  Create, yes.  Supply?  No.  Software is just a copy away,
> and the network is already in place for other reasons, and paid for for
> those reasons.

Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

> The ease and cheapness of copying is what scares the crap out of commercial
> outfits, and that's why the Internet is slowly being layered with ever more
> controls.

Well sure. If it costs $100,000 to produce an album, and one person
buys it for $15 and then copies and shares it with everyone else then
how is that money going to be recouped? Artists like Radiohead and
Coldplay can give away albums for free because they have $100,000 to
front, and they also know that they can go on tour and recoup
expenses. A new artist doesn't have that luxury. Either it will have
to cost alot less to produce albums or songs (a real possibility), or
that first person buying the song is going to have to pay $100,000
(exaggeration, but you get my drift). Same thing goes for movies,
software, other items we were talking about.

The fact is, no one has figured out how to make money on the Internet
very well. Things like Facebook and YouTube are worth alot on paper,
but are losing money in reality. There are exceptions to this of
course, but hardly any outfits can turn a profit online from something
that's cheap and easy to copy and distribute. And to bring the
discussion back to the topic of the group, some of those that are
turning a profit sell Linux service/support. Not exactly the same as
selling music online, but close.

Everyone (and I lump myself in there) wants everything to be free on
the Internet, but I fail to see how this is going to work.