[News] Big Milestone for Creative Drivers for Linux

Finally, A Creative X-Fi Driver Going Into ALSA

,----[ Quote ]
| While this has been a long and dirty mess, the good news is that as of today
| there is a merge-able version of the Creative X-Fi driver for ALSA. Novell's
| Takashi Iwai who wrote the original X-Fi driver has managed to get in contact
| with Creative Labs to create this genuine X-Fi ALSA driver, which is in far
| better condition than his previous hack-ish attempt. This new Sound Blaster
| X-Fi driver is called snd-ctxfi and more information on it can be found
| within the ALSA development list.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzI3MA

Recent:

Creative Gives In, They Open-Source Their X-Fi Driver

,----[ Quote ]
| The Sound Blaster X-Fi sound card driver for Linux from Creative Labs was
| awful. That's simply the nicest way to put it. The driver was home to many
| bugs, initially only supported 64-bit Linux, and it was arriving extremely
| late. The open-source drivers supporting the Creative X-Fi drivers have also
| been at a stand still. However, Creative Labs today has finally turned this
| situation around and they have open-sourced the code to this notorious
| driver. The source-code for the Creative X-Fi driver is now licensed under
| the GNU GPLv2.Creative Gives In, They Open-Source Their X-Fi Driver
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=creative_xfi_gift&num=1

Creative releases Linux X-Fi driver under the GPL

http://arstechnica.com/journals/linux.ars/2008/11/06/creative-releases-linux-x-fi-driver-under-the-gpl

ALSA Driver For The Creative X-Fi Appears

,----[ Quote ]
| ALSA, the Advanced Linux Sound Architecture, now has an experimental Creative
| X-Fi driver.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Njc3NQ

Creative releases a new v1.18 Beta driver for X-FI cards

,----[ Quote ]
| Creative has received a lot of comments and rants (a lot of them well earned)
| from the Linux community for not supporting their X-FI cards on the GNU/Linux
| platform. Earlier, in august 2007, they did a release of a Beta driver, that
| seemed to leave a lot to wish for, even being a Beta driver. It was only
| released for 64 bit systems, and didn't work for a lot of users. You want
| proof? Just check the forums at Creative.
`----

http://peterazp.blogspot.com/2008/04/creative-releases-new-v118-beta-driver.html

Creative Tries Again At Linux Drivers

,----[ Quote ]
| Months went by after that release with no signs of another beta, but back in
| February of this year, 4Front Technologies had announced an update to the
| Open Sound System (OSS) with initial support for the X-Fi series. Unlike
| support for some of the other sound cards on the market, the X-Fi support in
| its (sbxfi) driver wasn't reverse-engineered but Creative Labs had provided
| some source-code and header files to 4Front Technologies (Open-Source
| Creative X-Fi Support). These code files though had confidential markings,
| but two days later it was found out that this was legal and Creative Labs is
| interacting with both the OSS and ALSA projects. They had finally joined the
| open-source bandwagon.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=creative_take_2&num=1

Creative climbs down over home brew Vista drivers

,----[ Quote ]
| Posting a forum message on its website last weekend, Creative threatened
| Daniel_K with legal action, accusing him of infringing its intellectual
| property. The company removed forum posts from the developer containing links
| to his work.
|
| [...]
|
| Daniel_K is incensed by Creative. "They publicly threatened me, just to show
| their arrogance," he told El Reg by email.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/04/04/creative_restores_home_brew_vista_driver_links/

Creative Labs : Product Boards : Sound Blaster : Message to Daniel_K

| To be clear, we are asking you to respect our legal rights in this matter and
| cease all further unauthorized distribution of our technology and IP.  In
| addition we request that you observe our forum rules and respect our right to
| enforce those rules.  If you are in any doubt as to what we would consider
| unacceptable then please request clarification through one of our forum
| moderators before posting.
|
| Phil O'Shaughnessy
| VP Corporate Communications
| Creative Labs Inc.
|
| [...]
|
| My god, you guys got some balls on you, either that or you'r all bordeline
| mad.
|
| He offered a service you guys cant/wont, and in so madde a lot og YOUR
| customers happy about their product again.
|
| Now you wanna whipe him out and keep him silent by threatning about legal
| actions.
|
| This is a beyond retarded, shame on you, shame on you.
`----

http://forums.creative.com/creativelabs/board/message?board.id=soundblaster&thread.id=116332&view=by_date_ascending&page=1

Related:

Creative Joining The Open Bandwagon

,----[ Quote ]
| It's official, Creative Labs is joining the open specification/code bandwagon
| for the X-Fi series. Earlier this week we shared that through the Open Sound
| System there is now open-source support for the Sound Blaster X-Fi.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjMyMw

Why Vista sounds worse

,----[ Quote ]
| Changes to how the latest version of Windows handles audio playback has
| caused unexpected quality issues for musicians and consumers alike, reports
| Tim Anderson
`----

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2008/jan/31/microsoft.technology

Audio in Linux is awesome