[News] Analysis of the Debian/Ubuntu Relationship

Health Check: Ubuntu and Debian's special relationship

,----[ Quote ]
| Ubuntu is five years old. The release of Jaunty Jackalope coincided with the
| fifth anniversary of a meeting that Mark Shuttleworth called of a dozen or so
| Debian Developers in his London flat in April 2004 to map out his project to
| create a distribution that was capable of taking Linux to the masses. During
| the five years since that meeting Ubuntu has sprung from nothing to become
| the most popular Linux on the street.
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/Health-Check-Ubuntu-and-Debian-s-special-relationship--/features/113260/0

Recent:

Xubuntu 9.04 vs Debian 5.0.1 Xfce

,----[ Quote ]
| Yes, it's Ubuntu release week and yes, we'll be looking at Ubuntu for our
| feature article. Instead of a review of what everyone already knows, this
| week I thought we'd take a look at how the newly released Xubuntu 9.04
| compares to Debian Lenny with an Xfce desktop. Xfce is a desktop environment
| built using the GTK+ graphical libraries, similar to GNOME. Unlike GNOME
| however, its focus is on being lightweight. Creator Olivier Fourdan
| writes: "Xfce is a lightweight desktop environment for various *NIX systems.
| Designed for productivity, it loads and executes applications fast, while
| conserving system resources." Xubuntu is based on Ubuntu, but instead of
| providing a GNOME desktop, they provide Xfce. They also include much of the
| functionality that its larger parent offers. Debian, on the other hand, is
| based on, well, itself and offers a multitude of desktop offerings, one of
| which is Xfce. How do the two compare?
|
| [...]
|

| Debian is certainly far from dead. The overall system feels much more stable
| than the Xubuntu 9.04 I installed, but the Xubuntu system provided more
| functionality for new users, like the ability to easily install proprietary
| drivers. Debian was also faster and more lightweight than Xubuntu and, as a
| result, ran much better on this older hardware. Compared to Debian, Xubuntu
| was slow and sluggish, even to the point of being frustrating. Debian, on the
| other hand, remained snappy and responsive. When it came to codecs, Debian
| played everything out of the box, while Xubuntu resorted to using their
| manager to install codecs as required. Debian is now superior to Xubuntu in
| this area. The one thing Debian didn't have is the automated tool for
| installing proprietary drivers. Everything is there at the command level,
| just not in the user interface. Part of the reason Xubuntu takes longer to
| load and uses more RAM is that it includes extra utilities, like the
| proprietary driver manager. The other thing to keep in mind is that Xubuntu
| 9.04 comes with a much newer kernel and includes numerous booting speed
| improvements, while Debian does not.
`----

http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20090427#feature

Before Ubuntu Was SimplyMepis: A Long-Term Review

,----[ Quote ]
| SimplyMepis ships with Linux kernel 2.6.27-1, Xorg Server 1.4.2, and GCC
| 4.3.2. Besides most of the usual KDE applications and those previously
| mentioned, SimplyMEPIS includes applications such as KMPlayer, Kino, Guarddog
| Firewall, JBidwatcher, and Amarok. It also includes codecs and plugins needed
| to enjoy local and streaming multimedia and Web content. Lots of other
| applications are available in the repositories.
|
| Other than the few situations described, using SimplyMepis the past two
| months has been a pleasure. It was very nice having such complete hardware
| support and not having to set up all the multimedia and Web plugins myself.
| The other applications I require functioned without issue. It was delightful
| being able to concentrate on my work rather than the system underneath.
`----

http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reviews/6747/1/

One week with Debian

,----[ Quote ]
| I’ve been using Debian for a week now and other than the surprisingly slow
| installation and no nice restricted-manager helping you with driver
| installation, I’m quite comfortable with it. There’s some stuff from Ubuntu
| which I miss (like command-not-found), but nothing big, and having testing,
| unstable and experimental to get newer packages from is cool. I still prefer
| Ubuntu, but it’s good to know that if something ever happens to it (just
| purely theoretically) I could live with Debian; and, in any case, I’ll keep
| this installation around (it only takes up 6GB, so there’s no reason to
| remove it once I get Ubuntu running fine again).
`----

http://bloc.eurion.net/archives/2009/one-week-with-debian/

Meta-cycles: 2-3 year major cycles for free software?

,----[ Quote ]
| In conversations with Steve
| McIntyre, the current Debian Project Leader, we’ve identified an interesting
| opportunity to collaborate. Debian is aiming for an 18 month cycle, which
| would put their next release around October 2010, which would be the same
| time as the Ubuntu 10.10 release.
`----

http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/288

Related:

The Difference Between Debian and Ubuntu (part 1)

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.debiantoday.com/the-difference-between-debian-and-ubuntu-part-1/