Re: Report: Hackers broke into FAA air traffic control systems

____/ Matt on Friday 08 May 2009 18:38 : \____

> http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-10236028-83.html?tag=mncol;txt#comments
>
>>  May 7, 2009 3:59 PM PDT
>> Report: Hackers broke into FAA air traffic control systems
>> by Elinor Mills
>
>> Hackers have broken into the air traffic control mission-support systems of
>> the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration several times in recent years,
>> according to an Inspector General report sent to the FAA this week.
>>
>> In February, hackers compromised an FAA public-facing computer and used it
>> to gain access to personally identifiable information, such as Social
>> Security numbers, on 48,000 current and former FAA employees, the report
>> said.
>>
>> Last year, hackers took control of FAA critical network servers and could
>> have shut them down, which would have seriously disrupted the agency's
>> mission-support network, the report said. Hackers took over FAA computers in
>> Alaska, becoming "insiders," according to the report dated Monday.
>>
>> Then, taking advantage of interconnected networks, hackers later stole an
>> administrator's password in Oklahoma, installed "malicious codes" with the
>> stolen password and compromised the FAA domain controller in the Western
>> Pacific Region, giving them the access to more than 40,000 FAA user IDs,
>> passwords, and other data used to control a portion of the mission-support
>> network, the report said.
>>
>> And in 2006, a virus spread to the air traffic control (ATC) systems,
>> forcing the FAA to shut down a portion of its systems in Alaska, according
>> to the report.
>>
>> The attacks so far have primarily disrupted mission-support functions, but
>> attacks could spread over network connections from those areas to the
>> operational networks where real-time surveillance, communications and flight
>> information is processed, the report warned.
>>
>> "In our opinion, unless effective action is taken quickly, it is likely to
>> be a matter of when, not if, ATC systems encounter attacks that do serious
>> harm to ATC operations," the report concluded.

“Microsoft server crash nearly causes 800-plane pile-up“

http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/index.cfm?newsid=2275

“The Los Angeles Times reported that the outage was the result of a worker
neglecting to perform a monthly reset of a Windows-based control system,
resulting in its automatic shutdown after 49.7 days of operation. A backup
system also failed.”

http://www.securityfocus.com/news/9729

http://www.ccsce.com/pdf/Numbers_CA_Rank.pdf

,----[ Quote ]
| The FAA is implementing the Stratus servers, which use Intel Xeon 2.8
| MHz large cache MP processors and support the Microsoft Windows
| operating system, at control centers in Atlanta and Salt Lake City.
`----

http://www.stratustechnologies.com/news/2005/20050314a.htm

- --
                ~~ Best of wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Billigator: eats your filesystem alive
Mem:   2075800k total,  1660792k used,   415008k free,    12460k buffers