[News] The Latest About the Fight Against Europe's Internet

Is Internet access a 'fundamental right'?

,----[ Quote ]
| Or how about a right to get The Wall Street Journal? It provides useful
| commentary on my government's actions and how they affect my wallet. But
| then, I'd also need The New York Times so that I could develop a balanced
| view on important political matters.
|
| None of which will matter if the government doesn't force upon me the right
| to education! And not just any education, but an education that makes me
| fully capable of making intelligent voting decisions and filling out endless
| forms.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-10234555-16.html

Web designer opposes France's "3 strikes" law, loses job

,----[ Quote ]
| An employee of French broadcaster TF1 was fired after privately expressing
| opposition to the new "graduated response" bill moving through the National
| Assembly. He e-mailed his MP, who forwarded the message to the Ministry of
| Culture, which passed it to TF1.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2009/05/web-designer-opposes-frances-3-strikes-law-loses-job.ars

European Parliament rejects Telecoms Package

,----[ Quote ]
| Telecoms Package surprise result as European Parliament makes a vote for
| democracy and civil liberties on the Internet. But it is  not clear how much
| of a win it is.
`----

http://www.iptegrity.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=338&Itemid=9

Malcolm Harbour Doesn't Get Net Neutrality

,----[ Quote ]
| The questioner is wrong to frame this in terms of blocking *sites*: it's
| about blocking *services*, particularly ones based on new protocols
| piggy-backing on TCP/IP. The Telecoms Package gives telecoms companies the
| possibility of blocking anything it doesn't like at this level - killing net
| neutrality - provided they tell people what they are doing.
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2009/05/malcolm-harbour-doesnt-get-net.html

Aussie censors implement six degrees of separation policy

,----[ Quote ]
| The Australian Government yesterday broke new records for web censorship by
| requiring the takedown not just of a page containing harmful content, nor
| even a page linking to harmful content, but a page linking to a link to
| allegedly harmful content.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/05/07/oz_link_ban/

Recent:

Radiohead's Manager: File Sharing Should Be Legal; It's Great For Music

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090506/0229264765.shtml