[News] Programming with Python Stepping Up to 3.1

First beta of Python 3.1

,----[ Quote ]
| The Python developers have released the first beta of Python 3.1. The new
| version of the free scripting language is a development version, not for
| production use. The developers plan this as the only beta and aim to release
| the final Python 3.1 in June.
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/First-beta-of-Python-3-1--/news/113229

Develop Next Generation Mobile Applications And Services: Open Source
Middleware On Its Way

,----[ Quote ]
| “MUSIC uses Eclipse, Maven and SVN, which need at least Java 1.5, but we
| recommend Java 1.6. MUSIC applies the LGPL licence (GNU Lesser General Public
| License. The LGPL licence which does not apply their restrictions to the
| resulting software, so that it can be exploited under any chosen form”.
|
| [...]
|
| A Tutorial on MUSIC will be presented at the 5th International Conference on
| Open Source Systems on the 3rd of June 2009, in Stockholm, Sweden. The
| tutorial will provide an overview of the main results of the MUSIC project
| todate.
`----

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/05/090506093839.htm

Recent:

Python 2.6.2 released

,----[ Quote ]
| The developers of Python, the free scripting language, have announced the
| release of version 2.6.2. This is the second bug fix release in the Python
| 2.6 development branch and contains nearly a hundred bug fixes and revisions,
| all listed in the release notes.
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/Python-2-6-2-released--/news/113071

Q&A: James Gosling on Sun-IBM, cloud, SOA, and of course Java

,----[ Quote ]
| Q. One of the most enduring things about Java is the virtual machine, that
| helps to give it its ‘write once, run anywhere’ capability. You must have
| been watching with interest as so many vendors now espouse the benefits of
| virtualisation, albeit on a different level?
|
| A. The Java VM is much more abstract than say a Microsoft or VMware VM. There
| were a variety of issues that drove me to use a VM for Java. We needed to
| virtualise a very wide variety of hardware – not just Mac, Unix, Linux,
| Windows but things like cellphones and even smartcards. Also to encapsulate
| computations and be able to move them around, and handle them in a way that
| they can be optimised differently and map to individual machines.
| VMs were not very common when I did the Java VM, but I had been doing a
| project I got involved with as a graduate, a PASCAL compiler that used byte
| codes to represent compiled programs, and I had to target it at other
| architectures, which gave me the idea of building VMs into bytecode
| instruction sets. I actually thought about doing a PhD in this but in the end
| I did it in something else.
`----

http://www.businessreviewonline.com/os/archives/2009/04/index.html#000960

The current state and future of Python

,----[ Quote ]
| So what does python have to offer?  It is a nice mix of procedural
| programming, object oriented and functional.  That is what I love about it.
| It allows you to work in a mix of all three.  It also seems that it is made
| by a bunch of people that understand that while flexibility is important
| (Perl code) you have to be able to READ and UNDERSTAND something written by
| another human being.  One way python does this is by forcing you to indent
| your code.  This may seem stupid to some but readability goes WAY up, when
| something is consistently indented the same way.  Another way they make it
| easier to read than other languages is by making it more like natural
| language, the language is more verbose than your average language but not as
| bad as something like BASIC.
`----

http://techczar.wordpress.com/2009/03/29/the-current-state-and-future-of-python/

Google searches for holy grail of Python performance

,----[ Quote ]
| Google's Python engineers have launched a new project called Unladen Swallow
| that seeks to improve the performance of the Python programming language. One
| of the project's goals is to replace the Python virtual machine with an
| LLVM-based JIT.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/open-source/news/2009/03/google-launches-project-to-boost-python-performance-by-5x.ars

Java: Coming Soon to Google’s App Engine

,----[ Quote ]
| Google will soon announce comprehensive support for the Java programming
| language on its Google App Engine (GAE) offering. We are trying to get more
| details. Rumors of such a development emerged last year, but we can now
| confirm that it is going to happen. We have have confirmed the news and
| expect the announcement later this spring, perhaps at the much-vaunted Google
| I/O event on May 27-28th at the Moscone Center in San Francisco. A Google
| spokesperson declined to comment.
`----

http://gigaom.com/2009/03/26/java-coming-soon-to-googles-app-engine/

Google Jumps Head First Into Web Services With Google App Engine

,----[ Quote ]
| One current limitation is a requirement that applications be written in
| Python, a popular scripting language for building modern web apps (Ruby and
| PHP are among others widely used). Google says that Python is just the first
| supported language, and that the entire infrastructure is designed to be
| language neutral.
`----

http://www.techcrunch.com/2008/04/07/google-jumps-head-first-into-web-services-with-google-app-engine/

Python Fans Take Aim at the Enterprise