[News] Oracle Longs for Sun's Hardware

Oracle Will Stay in the Hardware Business, Ellison Says

,----[ Quote ]
| Ellison's comments confirm Oracle's intention to maintain and grow Sun's
| hardware business, which were outlined in general terms in an April 20
| document that discussed Oracle's plans for Sun.
`----

http://tech.yahoo.com/news/pcworld/20090508/tc_pcworld/oraclewillstayinthehardwarebusinessellisonsays

Q+A-What are Larry Ellison's plans for Sun Micro?

,----[ Quote ]
| A. No. Our primary reason for designing our own chips is to build computers
| with the very best performance, reliability and security available in the
| market. Some system features work much better if they are implemented in
| silicon rather than software. Once we own Sun, we'll be able to plan and
| synchronize new features from silicon to software, just like IBM and the
| other big system suppliers. We want to work with Fujitsu to design advanced
| features into the SPARC microprocessor aimed at improving Oracle database
| performance. In my opinion, this will enable SPARC Solaris open-system
| mainframes and servers to challenge IBM's dominance in the data center. Sun
| was very successful for a very long time selling computer systems based on
| the SPARC chip and the Solaris operating system. Now, with the added power of
| integrated Oracle software, we think they can be again.
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssTechMediaTelecomNews/idUSN0740285120090507

Recent:

What Oracle gets with MySQL

,----[ Quote ]
| MySQL, in other words, is a great example of how Oracle can make open source
| pay. MySQL is much more like Oracle than I originally thought.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-10227921-16.html

As Oracle Becomes Java's Steward, It's Also a Big Player in Mobile Tech

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://ostatic.com/blog/as-oracle-becomes-javas-steward-its-also-a-big-player-in-mobile-tech