[News] Charity Killer's (Co)Founder Admits Patents Are Like a Bubble or Pyramid Scheme

  • Subject: [News] Charity Killer's (Co)Founder Admits Patents Are Like a Bubble or Pyramid Scheme
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 06 May 2009 08:03:30 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Andy Grove: Patents Are Like Mortgage Backed Securities

,----[ Quote ]
| It's an interesting comparison and one that does seem apt the more you think
| about it. In separating out the "security" from the underlying asset, we tend
| to distort things. It was that distortion that resulted in the financial
| crisis, as it enabled those who wanted to sell risky things to obscure the
| actual risks and pretend that their securities were safer than they were.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090504/1119284741.shtml

Grove Says Patent System May Have Same Flaws as Derivatives

,----[ Quote ]
| Andy Grove, who oversaw Intel Corp.’s emergence as the world’s largest chip
| company, says the U.S. patent system suffers from the same kind of flaws that
| brought about the global financial crisis.
|
| Patents have evolved to a point where they often aren’t developed into
| products, and instead are instruments traded by speculators looking for the
| highest possible profit, Grove said May 2 at an event in Mountain View,
| California. Similar to financial derivatives, the link between patents and
| the products they protect is getting more tenuous, he said.
`----

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601103&sid=aw5EZ9BzrgtU&refer=us

Intel's Grove: Something foul in Silicon Valley

,----[ Quote ]
| Speaking to a diverse Silicon Valley audience that included Gordon Moore
| (founder of both Fairchild Semiconductor and Intel); Ted Hoff (co-inventor of
| the microprocessor); Carver Mead (VLSI concept); Intel CEO Paul Otellini; and
| Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak, Grove said the patent system is slouching
| toward the model that precipitated the financial crisis in the U.S.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-10232355-64.html?tag=newsEditorsPicksArea.0

Recent:

Intel accused of massive tax evasion