[News] Debian Lenny is New But Runs on Old Machines

Etch for Old Hardware

,----[ Quote ]
| The pool of usable Linux distros for older hardware is shrinking. For at
| least the rest of this year, it appears you can still install Etch and make
| it work well. Everyone has their own ideals, and I’m quite sure you can find
| fault with mine. Still, I’m going to outline what I’ve done, and perhaps
| you’ll find something useful.
`----

http://jehurst.wordpress.com/2009/05/02/etch-for-old-hardware/

Recent:

Debian and LXDE

,----[ Quote ]
| In any case, the combination Debian (testing) + LXDE is lightning fast. I
| haven’t timed anything yet, but it feels even faster than my Arch install,
| even using ext3. Okay, at the moment it doesn’t boot into X yet, I have to
| start it manually. Wireless hasn’t been configured yet, sound doesn’t work
| yet, and I have to install most of the applications I need…but man, it’s
| fast.
`----

http://celettu.wordpress.com/2009/04/28/debian-and-lxde/

Taking LXDE For a Test Drive

,----[ Quote ]
| I found LXDE to a pretty nice desktop environment. It’s certainly fast, comes
| with a reasonable amount of good quality tools, and a nice appearance.
| There’s room for improvement, however, particularly when it comes to
| configuration. I would count it as a good option for recent Windows converts,
| particularly those with older hardware that might have trouble running a
| beefier desktop such as Gnome or KDE. Has it pulled me away from my beloved
| Window Maker? I don’t think so, but it’s progressing nicely and I’d love to
| see what the developers come up with down the road.
`----

http://maketecheasier.com/taking-lxde-for-a-test-drive/2009/04/22

Sidux Linux with LXDE - First Impressions

,----[ Quote ]
| I am still new to Sidux and LXDE but I will give it a throrough test.  I use
| my Thinkpad for much of my work when I travel Saigon by motorbike.
`----

http://www.saigonnezumi.com/2009/01/04/sidux-linux-with-lxde-first-impressions/

Trying out LXDE

,----[ Quote ]
| This is my first time to try out LXDE. I am curious about it and there are
| certain things that I am glad are in LXDE. For one thing, Alt+F2 also pops up
| a run dialog box so I could type the name of the application I want to run.
| There are even suggestions as to what I could run when I typed the first how
| many letters of the application’s name.
`----

http://www.newlinuxuser.com/trying-out-lxde/

Lighten up your desktop.