[News] "Windows will never be secure [...] They should just dump it [for GNU/Linux]"

  • Subject: [News] "Windows will never be secure [...] They should just dump it [for GNU/Linux]"
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 04 May 2009 22:04:10 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Wrong way to go about solving the problem.

,----[ Quote ]
| Windows will never be secure.
|
| What’s particularly dumb about this is that the NSA has already bee involved
| in the development of SELinux, the kernel of which is now part of most Linux
| distributions. It’s already been rated at a higher level in their “Trusted
| Computer Systems Evaluation Criteria” (the “orange book”) than any version of
| Windows has.
|
| Frankly, I don’t get what the justification for trying to get a secure
| version of Windows is. They should just dump it and use one of the
| SELinux-based systems.
`----

http://www.omninerd.com/comments/23641

Related:

Bots rule in cyberspace

,----[ Quote ]
| USA TODAY REPORTS that on an average day, 40 per cent of the 800 million
| computers connected to the Internet are bots used to send out spam, viruses
| and to mine for sensitive personal data.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/03/17/bots-rule-cyberspace
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/computersecurity/2008-03-16-computer-botnets_N.htm

What spooks Microsoft's chief security advisor

,----[ Quote ]
| Speaking at the Boston SecureWorld conference Wednesday, the 19-year
| Microsoft veteran whose job includes protecting enterprises, developers and
| Microsoft itself said there actually is plenty of good news on the security
| front. For example, his outfit scans a half million devices (with customer
| permission) per month and in the first half of last year saw the first
| period-over-period decline in new vulnerabilities disclosed across Microsoft
| and non-Microsoft software since 2003.
|
| However, 3,400 new vulnerabilities were discovered and “it’s still a big
| number,” Arsenault says. “So if vulnerability rates are down, where are
| they?”
`----

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2008/032608-microsoft-security-concerns.html

With Vista breached, Linux unbeaten in hacking contest

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2008/032908-with-vista-breached-linux-unbeaten.html?fsrc=rss-linux-news