[News] QuakeLive is Coming to GNU/Linux

[Part 1] Progress, plans, and lots of work to do

,----[ Quote ]
| Mac/Linux
| These have proved more difficult than expected, but we're getting close. We
| expect to also be testing Mac and Linux versions of QUAKE LIVE internally
| this month and then making those publicly available just as soon as we feel
| they are ready. This work is being done by a separate programmer in parallel
| with the other work that we're doing, and is his only priority - point being,
| that this is a top priority for us and not being delayed because of other
| work.
`----

http://www.quakelive.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22698

QuakeLive Linux SITREP

http://www.linuxgames.com/archives/13762

Recent:

ioquake3 Engine Nears New Version

,----[ Quote ]
| The team behind the development of the ioquake3 engine, a spin-off of the
| open-source Quake 3 engine, is preparing for the release of a new update. The
| second release candidate for ioquake3 1.36 is now available and it features a
| number of new improvements. This new release of ioquake3 brings off-server
| data downloading support, OpenAL sound support for surround-sound
| configurations, Ogg Vorbis audio decoding, full x86_64 architecture support,
| improved Quake Virtual Machine tools, and there are many other features.
| There is also an SDL back-end for the OpenGL context, window management, and
| input.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzA0Ng

Review: Enemy Territory: Quake Wars

,----[ Quote ]
| It also provides a unique platform that allows more casual shooter fans to
| loose a level of intimidation when first jumping to the game.  Yet provides
| enough for veterans of the genre to show their skills, and succeed.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/18652/1093/

Related:

ATI: Linux vs. Windows Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| Wow! We were completely blown away when our final results came in and the
| Linux 8.42.3 driver had outperformed Windows Vista with Catalyst 7.10 in
| Enemy Territory: Quake Wars. It wasn't just a neck-and-neck race but Linux
| was about 10 frames per second faster when running at 1280 x 1024 and 1680 x
| 1050.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=897&num=3

ET: Quake Wars Threaded Renderer

,----[ Quote ]
| The Enemy Territory: Quake Wars v1.4 Linux update contains this new threaded
| renderer, which depends upon a modified SDL library. According to id
| Software, this threaded renderer will shine on systems with more than two
| cores, so really just quad-core and octal-core systems (for now).
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=971&num=1

Open Source Gaming Review: Linux Gamers Live DVD 0.9.2

,----[ Quote ]
| Overall I like this live dvd of popular free Linux games and I wish the
| absolute best to the developers of the Linux-Gamers.net Live DVD and I want
| to encourage them to continue their work. It’s very, very much appreciated.
| While it’s still got some growing to do, and some bugs to iron out, it really
| has been a very enjoyable distribution to experiment with. I especially like
| the idea that I can take it with me anywhere I go and play some of my
| favorite Linux games, even if the system I’m playing it on doesn’t have
| Linux.
`----

http://www.raiden.net/?cat=2&aid=265

Supergamer VL Developmental Release Available

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.tuxmachines.org/node/17634