Re: Is Vista7 too FAT for most netbooks ?

On 2009-05-01, Duke Robillard <duke@xxxxxxxxxxx> claimed:
> On Fri, 01 May 2009 09:35:42 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
>
>> With Windows 7, Microsoft has chosen to leave the coming sub-$200 market
>> to Linux.
>
> I'm no uSoft-lover, but I sure wouldn't blame them for that.  Where's the
> profit to be made in selling an OS for a $200 computer?  It's kinda like
> Apple declining to enter the low-end hardware market, because the profit
> per machine is too low.
>
> Not everyone can make money on Walmartian razor-thin margins.  I'm
> surprised Microsoft can still make money selling an OS for a $500 computer

They evidently can't. They reported down earnings a few days ago. And
they're laying off and cutting budgets.

If the machines went below $200 they'd have to *pay* people to use it.
Which is what they would be doing anyway if quality was a factor.

Falls don't kill people. It's the deceleration trauma.
Eee PC900 16G SSD 2G RAM Ubuntu 9.04