David "Lefty" Schlesinger attacks a feminist for denouncing his exploitation of feminism

Verily I say unto thee, that Stone Mirror (a.k.a. David "Lefty"
Schlesinger) spake thusly:
> On Jul 31, 5:34 pm, Homer <usenet@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Is this the same David "Lefty" Schlesinger who is a "member of the
>> LiMo Foundation's Architectural Steering Committee and chair of the
>> Open Source Committee, as well as a member of the GNOME Foundation
>> Advisory Board",
>
> Indeed. It only took Roy about a week or two to figure that out, in
> spite of its being prominently posted on my blog. He's one heckuva
> journalist.
>
>> but who has taken to attacking Stallman for making harmless
>> "virgin" jokes,
>
> I've strongly criticized Stallman for both his sexually-loaded
> attempt at "humor"

Well here's someone with a very personal reason to rebuke Stallman's
joke, and yet she seems more concerned by your exploitation of feminism
to further your pro-Mono agenda:

[quote]
Oh dear. It looks like I'm a relative latecomer to an unfortunate tale
of sexism and co-option in the open source software development world.

It started with Richard M Stallman, founder of the Free Software
movement that eventually produced stuff like Linux, making some sexist
remarks, and a blogger calling him on it. (This isn't particularly
surprising, unfortunately - he's well known to be both sexist and
unpleasant.) Now, the blogger criticizing him for it is a good thing,
right? Well, I thought so at first, but then I smelt a rat.

You see, one of the other things RMS did in his speech was strongly
criticize Mono, a very controversial piece of software. Though he
attempts to pretend otherwise, the author of the blog, David "Lefty"
Schlesinger, is a strong Mono supporter. In fact, his previous blog post
is a fairly vicious attack on both a specific anti-Mono individual and
on everyone who's anti-Mono. This is an area where Stallman's views have
some actual influence, mainly because he has an annoying habit of being
right about this type of thing. Oh, and Lefty hasn't shown any interest
in the issue of sexism in the open source world before, but is suddenly
launching a campaign against it (main target: RMS). Finally, it appears
he may have form when it comes to trolling.

So, I'm confused. On the one hand, sexism is a big problem (particularly
in software development, which is heavily male). On the other hand, it
feels like this is less about fighting sexism and more about destroying
someone's reputation to win an entirely unrelated dispute, which makes
me more than a little alarmed. I'm not even sure if using it as a
political weapon in this way is good or bad for the fight against
sexism. (I suspect Stallman is not the place to start; he's a slightly
eccentric irrelevance for the most part.)

Any thoughts? When does fighting sexism justify joining the campaign of
someone whose motives are less than pure?
[quote]

http://community.feministing.com/2009/07/feminism-co-option-and-open-so.html

But I see from the comments that you've already read it.

[quote]
I'm also sorry to say that I'm not much of an anti-Mono zealot. Well,
wasn't until I ran headlong into your blog, anyway.
[/quote]

LOL!

Keep up the good work, "Lefty".

Not only have you succeeded in losing yet another convert to the
anti-Mono campaign, but you managed to alienate a potential customer in
the process:

http://community.feministing.com/2009/07/my-first-vibrator.html

Well that rules out political campaign worker, and public relations
manager, for your new job, after they sack you from ACCESS Co., Ltd. for
bringing their company into disrepute.

Oh well, you've always got dildos to fall back on.

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
| "The shepherd drives the wolf from the sheep's throat, for which
| the sheep thanks the shepherd as his liberator, while the wolf
| denounces him for the same act, as the destroyer of liberty.
| Plainly the sheep and the wolf are not agreed upon a definition of
| the word liberty; and precisely the same difference prevails today
| among human creatures." ~ Abraham Lincoln
`----

Fedora release 8 (Werewolf) on sky, running kernel 2.6.26.8-57.fc8
 03:31:06 up 64 days,  7:29,  5 users,  load average: 0.04, 0.04, 0.08