Re: Microsoft Explains Its Anti-GNU/Linux Strategy (Comes vs. Microsoft - exhibit PX08175, as text)

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Microsoft Confidential
>
> Our Linux Strategy
> VinodV
> 5/19/99
>
> Microsoft Confidential; © 1999, All Rights Reserved  Do Not Forward
> without Approval from Author.
>
> Introduction
> This document discusses both our strategy and our plans for competing with
> Lmux. To understand the strategy it is important to remember the
> following:
> - -  Linux isn?t most importantly a product/feature; it?s a philosophy
> change
> - -  Linux has no new specific features to co-opt
>    -  Unlike the NC: the NC touted TCO benefits, and thus we introduced
>    ZAK/ZAW
>    -  Unlike the Internet: the Internet was loaded with technology
>    changes, and
> thus we invested in browser technologies and reexamined all our existing
> products
>
> The core strategic thrust of Linux is NOT an attack against some
> product/feature weakness of Microsoft. It?s an attack at the base of the
> commercial software industry - Intellectual Property.

No it isn't! This microshaft guy is fscking mental loon!

Linux is about freedom and choice. Its not an attack on the software
commercial software industry!!!! Not one person wakes up and write
code thinking its some kind jihad against commercial software industry!!!!!

Though you can imagine every software industry get caught up in it. There is
still however the big intellectual difference between being the subject of
an attack and becoming caught up in the wake of new technologies like Linux
and they come to prominence!

> Previous threats to Microsoft (the NC, Java, etc.) have been about
> replacing Microsoft?s IP with another company?s IP that claimed some new
> benefit (e.g. TCO). What differentiates Linux is that OSS attempts to
> extricate Intellectual Property all together.

Doh!
That's a micoshaft centric view of problem - Linux does not attempt
to extricate Intellectual Property - Period! And no one writes
code with a view to doing in the micoshaft view of the world.

Free software developers write code because they want to write
code. And then they release it under various licenses of which the more
popular ones are the GPL'd licenses. There is not ONE imagined
enemy standing out side the door of micoshaft shouting with
megaphones saying down with Micoshaft and write more freedom software!
Fsck that!
Free software developers have got better things to do like write more code!

> Since many people have proposed how to deal with Linux, we thought it
> might be helpful as a thought exercise to quickly examine some of the
> alternative strategies we could consider. For each we include the "fatal
> flaws" that make them untenable.
>
> 1. Embrace Linux: MS APIs I Linux kernel -- release an MS version of Linux
> and/or release key MSFT platform technologies on Linux (e.g. parts of
> Win32, app server, etc.)

BWAAAA...

> Pros: Ride the wave & try to evangelize Win32

  ...AHHAHAHAHAHAH...

> Cons: Dramatically evangelizes Linux & may risk MSFT IP due to GPL license
> issues

Nope - this is where the fcking mental loon goes crazy!
What you get from GPL is lot more that micoshaft IP.
They should have done a proper study of that.
This is a massive intellect failure at micoshaft.

> Fatal Flaw:
>  - Impossible to make this revenue neutral with Windows biz.

Eh? What does that mean?

>  - Doesn?t protect the "crown jewel" IP from being targeted at a later
>  date

Liar! Fskcing Loon!
Your IP is still your IP and you make APIs to disconnect your IP
with GPL'd code.

> 2. Embrace Linux: Linux APIs / MS Kernel -- try to get Linux API?s on
> Windows -- get more hardcore about POSIX subsystem on NT to capture Linux
> app base

Nothing wrong with that!

> Pros: Capture some of the Linux dev mindshare by making it easy to bring
> Linux apps to NT

Nope. Windump crap is still windump crap.
But if you pay someone, they might learn windump crap
and improve it - but only if you open up the bad bits.

> Cons: Hurts Win32 evangelization

BWAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAAAA!!!!!!!!

> Fatal Flaw:
>  - There are no Linux apps that we covet.

Of course not - not Apache, not security, no PHP, no
kernel drivers, no UIs, nope nada nothing.

> 3. Embrace Open Source: Publish NT Source -- release NT source code under
> a license similar to Sun?s community source license

Well - I would be hesistant to read that code except to fix something.

> Pros: Try to capture Linux?s evangelization benefits by publishing NT
> source

BWAA... If you say so.

>  Cons: ISVs getting hooked on undocumented API?s, support costs,
> etc.

BBBBBWAAAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAAAA!!!!!!
Undocumented APIs? Micoshaft admit they exist?!!!!!!!

> Fatal Flaw:
>  - Microsoft is an IP company. Like the rest of the software industry,
>  >90% of
> our IP valuation stems from Trade Secrecy of the source code.
> Open Source
> is mutually exclusive with Trade Secrecy.

UTTER UTTER UTTER RUBBISH. This is fscking unemployable microshaft loon
telling balmer and goatse what to do with a $200 billion dollar company.
Your IP is fully protected by interfacing it with GPL'd code
through APIs.

> Th~s plan would instantly make
> the various Win32 clones (e.g. http//www winehq.com) an order of magnitude
> more capable.

So they know about WINE and think every day about how to destroy it.

Nothing changes at micoshaft corporation.
They are controlled by a bunch of loons
who write reports for loons further up the ladder.