[News] Google Tries to Introduce People to Free Software/Linux Programming

Google go Simple

,----[ Quote]
| A new Google project, Simple, aims to be as BASIC as possible. Simple is very
| much a work in progress, but currently consists of a compiler and runtime for
| the Simple language, which is a dialect of BASIC specifically for developing
| Android Applications. Simple programmers can define static or dynamic forms
| and manipulate them with BASIC like commands. The hope is that a simple
| programming language, based on BASIC, will open up programming Android
| devices to a wider audience.
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/Google-go-Simple--/news/113915

Recent:

Linux and Free/Open Source Software: Why Code For Free? (part 1)

,----[ Quote ]
| Many tens of thousands of words have been printed over the years in attempts
| to answer the question "Why would anyone want to code for free?" Sometimes it
| is phrased more bitingly, like "Richard Stallman thinks programmers should
| work for free and starve to death!" With rare exceptions, various pundits,
| analysts, and random passersby have tried to explain these issues without
| asking any actual developers, or having any coding experience themselves. And
| thus in a daring deed of the blindingly obvious, I asked several experienced,
| professional developers for their views on the subject. These will be
| published next week in Part 2. Today I'm going to look at the value of
| Free/Open Source software to the non-coder, us lowly end users.
`----

http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/opinions/6803/1/

C++0x not before 2010 and without 'concepts'

,----[ Quote ]
| The forthcoming standard for the object-oriented language C++ will not be
| released before 2010. It will also lack the planned 'concepts' mechanism.
| This is according to information in a Dr. Dobbs Journal article by C++'s
| inventor, Bjarne Stroustrup. Concepts have been "decoupled" â or in
| Stroustrup's words "yanked out" â by the ISO group responsible for the
| standard, Working Group 21.
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/C-0x-not-before-2010-and-without-concepts--/news/113840

Recent:

10 Individuals who have contributed the most to FOSS

,----[ Quote ]
| Rasmus Lerdorf is a Danish-Greenlandic programmer and is most notable as the
| creator of the PHP programming language. He authored the first two versions.
| Lerdorf also participated in the development of later versions of PHP led by
| a group of developers including Andi Gutmans and Zeev Suraski, who later
| founded Zend Technologies.
`----

http://www.l2admin.com/linux/10-individuals-i-feel-have-contributed-the-most-to-foss/

Related: