[News] FSF Organises to Eliminate DRM from Electronic Books

Coalition launches petition demanding that Amazon drop DRM from the Kindle

,----[ Quote ]
| The Free Software Foundation's DefectiveByDesign.org campaign, in cooperation
| with prominent authors, journalists, and librarians, has launched a petition
| against the Amazon Kindle's use of digital restrictions management (DRM).
|
| "The freedom to read without supervision or interference is central to a free
| society," said FSF executive director Peter Brown. "When ebook products like
| the Kindle use DRM to restrict what users can do with their books, that is a
| clear threat to the free exchange of ideas."
`----

http://www.fsf.org/news/amazon-kindle-drm-petition

Recent:

'Kindle ate my homework' boy sues Amazon

,----[ Quote ]
| THE BOY who lost all his homework on George Orwell's book 1984 when it was
| deleted from his Kindle has decided to sue Amazon for getting him in hot
| water with his teacher.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1495741/-kindle-ate-homework-boy-sues-amazon

Amazon Faces a Fight Over Its E-Books

,----[ Quote ]
| A growing number of civil libertarians and customer advocates wants Amazon to
| fundamentally alter its method for selling Kindle books, lest it be forced to
| one day change or recall books, perhaps by a judge ruling in a defamation
| case â or by a government deciding a particular work is politically damaging
| or embarrassing.
|
| âAs long as Amazon maintains control of the device it will have this ability
| to remove books and that means they will be tempted to use it or they will be
| forced to it,â said Holmes Wilson, campaigns manager of the Free Software
| Foundation.
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/27/technology/companies/27amazon.html?_r=1

Amazon Kindle doomed to repeat Big Brother moment

,----[ Quote ]
| Yes, Amazon chief Jeff Bezos has apologized for the Orwellian removal of
| Orwell from digital book readers tucked inside the pockets of American
| citizens. And yes, the new-age retailer has promised not to repeat its Big
| Brother moment. But that's not a promise it can promise to keep.
|
| [...]
|
| This uneasy feeling was only exacerbated by the fact that Amazon removed the
| books out from under Orwell lovers without explicitly telling them it was
| doing so. There were refund notices sent via email, but nothing more. Many
| Kindlers were left to wonder why their books had disappeared - while others
| wondered why there was a refund.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/07/25/kindle_conundrum/

Amazon Kindle powered by Linux, FSF not impressed

,----[ Quote ]
| Amazon is also using BusyBox (how can you not if you're running embedded?),
| so it's a good thing they've released that code - BusyBox has been active in
| recent years by way of the Software Freedom Law Center (SFLC) in making sure
| that vendors that use their code actually comply with the GPL.
`----

http://blog.internetnews.com/skerner/2009/06/amazon-kindle-powered-by-linux.html

Impeach Bezos for Amazon's Kindle Swindle

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.defectivebydesign.org/impeach-jeff-bezos-for-kindle-swindle