Re: [News] Red Hat in the MSBBC, Academia

____/ Tony(UK) on Tuesday 04 August 2009 09:01 : \____

> On Tue, 04 Aug 2009 08:40:14 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Is free the new pay?
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Matthew Szulik runs a successful business that gives its products away
>> for | free.
>> |
>> | What is more, Mr Szulik was recently named the United States
>> Entrepreneur of | the Year.
>> |
>> | The company he works for - Red Hat - turns a profit by distributing
>> free, | open source software; computer programs and applications that
>> anyone can | download.
>> `----
>>
>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8178929.stm
>
> I think it strange that the BBC chose this angle, rather than Mark
> Shuttleworth and Ubuntu. The episode of the weekly BBC Click technology
> broadcast that featured Ubuntu was very shallow and I got the feeling
> that they portrayed Mark Shuttleworth as slightly eccentric for actually
> giving things away.
>
> However on closer examination, the article is angled at the business
> user, rather than the home user.
>
> I do observe that the BBC (which *always* seems to favour Microsoft, come
> what may) to be in rather a technology turmoil at the moment. Many people
> within the Beeb quite openly support and use FOSS and Linux, but their
> attempts to report impartially within the confines to which they are
> placed by their peers mean that some of the articles and broadcasts seem
> strangely /impartial/, and leave any open-minded 'customer' slightly
> confused as to what they are actually trying to say. I do get a strong
> hint of incredibility, and even some sarcasm, finding it's way into their
> offerings at present. The ageing dinosaur that is the BBC seems very
> reluctant to evolve, and we all know what happened to them...

Did you listen to Peter Day's interview with Red Hat's Matthew Szulik? It was
appalling. Day showed his utter hostility towards this whole concept of
Freedom or open source, including for content (maybe because it competes with
the BBC, which make them Luddites).

- --
                ~~ Best of wishes

"The Two Phases Of University Employment:
1. Doesn't know enough to get a Real Job.
2. Knows too much to want a Real Job." -- sharks