Re: UK Pentagon hacker loses appeal, will be sent to U.S.

Me wrote:
"Phil Da Lick!" <phil_the_lick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:bImdnV5ujI_GRejXnZ2dnUVZ8h6dnZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Roy Schestowitz wrote:

____/ Andrew Halliwell on Saturday 01 August 2009 20:59 : \____

____/ Phil Da Lick! on Saturday 01 August 2009 16:34 : \____

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

____/ Ramon F Herrera on Friday 31 July 2009 15:39 : \____

# Gary McKinnon admits intentionally gaining access to government
systems
# Briton accused of carrying out biggest ever U.S. military computer
hacking
# He says he was researching whether U.S. was covering up existence of
UFOs

"LONDON, England (CNN) -- The Briton accused of hacking into U.S.
government computers on Friday lost his court appeal to have his case
heard in Britain, his legal team said.

" The decision means Gary McKinnon faces extradition to the United
States, where he is wanted for allegedly hacking into computers at the
Pentagon and NASA.

His mother, Janis Sharp, promised to appeal.

McKinnon, who has admitted breaking the law and intentionally gaining unauthorized access to computer systems, wanted to be tried in Britain
rather than the United States."

[...]

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/europe/07/31/british.hacker.mckinnon/
This whole case has developed into a farce that only embarrasses the
American Secret Services.
Well, he committed a crime and deserves to pay but painting him as some kind of terrorist anti christ who needs to spend the rest of his life in
jail is excessive. IMO he should be tried in the UK. If every computer
crime resulted in the perpetrators being extradited to the country the
target system was in we'd have a meltdown of all the airports.
He only played, AFAIK. He didn't crack it for profit or for malicious
reasons.
Didn't he also INFORM them of the security holes?
or was that someone else?
I think not. I never heard of such a thing.

Maybe they noticed him when he shuffled and played with the wallpapers. Perhaps he /wanted/ to be noticed and for the infiltration to come to their awareness.

Still a crime Roy. However he's certainly not a terrorist that deserves to spend 70+ years in jail, which is what he'll get if he goes stateside. He's already admitted guilt but they want to charge him with totally disproportionate charges.

As far as informing them of the holes I heard something like that as well. I read somewhere once that he offered to help them shore up the holes on their systems. Can't remember where, sorry.

Now he's going to Gitmo to get waterboarded for 70 years

The strange thing about it is the UK government has spent the last twelve years exercising the "human rights" of prisoners in terms of lenient sentences. Howcome they're not interested in the human rights of this guy who's looking at a totally unjustified and disproportionate sentence?