[News] Intellectual Monopolies Fight Dissent Using "Adolf Eichmann" Comparisons

Free culture or "digital barbarism"? A novelist on copyright

,----[ Quote ]
| In his newest book, novelist Mark Helprin sets out to single-handedly defend
| copyright from the barbarian freetard hordes. He advocates long-term
| copyright extensions and happily insults anyone who disagrees with him by
| comparing them to Idi Amin and Adolf Eichmann. The result is almost...
| uncivilized.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2009/08/one-mans-stand-against-digital-barbarism.ars

The Details Behind Amanda Palmer's Amazing Impromptu Music Video

,----[ Quote ]
| On Friday, we posted a guest post from singer Amanda Palmer, all about her
| thoughts on connecting with fans. If you didn't get a chance to read the
| whole thing, at the end she included a music video that she did. However, the
| story behind that music video is so good that it deserves a separate post of
| its own. We already know that Amanda has been a big fan of using Twitter to
| reach out to fans, and she did exactly that in this case -- but not to film a
| video. Just to hold an impromptu "flash gig" on the beach with two days'
| notice. Cool idea. Other bands should try that as well.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090731/1920485735.shtml

Yet Another Music Business Model: Label Signs With A Band

,----[ Quote ]
| This makes a lot of sense. Certainly record labels have a lot of experience
| and connections when it comes to marketing music and musicians. So leveraging
| those relationships makes a lot of sense. Giving up all control and rights
| just for that marketing expertise, on the other hand... makes less and less
| sense. So, no, I don't think record labels are going away. I still think
| there's plenty of room for them in the wider music ecosystem. But their role
| is changing, and the power shift is moving much more to artists and away from
| the labels. Some of the smart ones get it. But a few of the major labels
| certainly don't like this, which is why they fight so hard against the
| technology that's making this happe
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090802/1549165740.shtml

Recent:

Big Content: ludicrous to expect DRMed music to work forever

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2009/07/big-content-ridiculous-to-expect-drmed-music-to-work-forever.ars