[News] Mermaid Left Alone by Intellectual Monopolist (and Other Intellectual Insanities)

  • Subject: [News] Mermaid Left Alone by Intellectual Monopolist (and Other Intellectual Insanities)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 05 Aug 2009 12:45:01 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Mermaid Freed

,----[ Quote ]
| Apparently the controversy was more than the estate of Edvard Eriksen
| anticipated after asking the city of Greenville $3,800 for having a replica
| of Copenhagen's "Little Mermaid" statue in their Tower Riverside Park.
|
| "I received a letter this week from the Artists Right Society (ARS) saying
| that 'the estate of the sculptor Edvard Eriksen has decided to withdraw all
| of its claims thereto,'" said Greenville City Manager George Bosanic.
`----

http://www.thedailynews.cc/Main.asp?SectionID=2&SubSectionID=11&ArticleID=29001

Harvard trademarking everyday phrases

,----[ Quote ]
| Harvard University's moves to seek U.S. trademarks for everyday phrases such
| as "Ask what you can do" are defensive measures, a school official says.
|
| The university has poured a lot of money into basing its promotional and
| advertising campaigns on such phrases as "Ask what you can do," which was
| famously uttered by President John F. Kennedy in his 1960 inaugural speech,
| as well as "Lessons learned" and "Managing yourself," The Boston Globe
| reported Saturday.
`----

http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2009/08/01/Harvard-trademarking-everyday-phrases/UPI-95821249156013/

The AP and DRM; nothing to see here folks, move along

,----[ Quote ]
| The Associated Press recently created quite a stir by announcing that the
| company is implementing a digital rights management (DRM) system to protect
| their content from both misuse and unauthorized use.
`----

http://www.networkworld.com/newsletters/web/2009/080309web1.html?hpg1=bn

Recent:

RIAA Brief Attacks Free Software Foundation

,----[ Quote ]
| In their proposed response, the RIAA lawyers personally attacked The Free
| Software Foundation, Ray Beckerman (NewYorkCountryLawyer), and NYCL's
| blog, 'Recording Industry vs. The People'. The 9-page response (PDF) â 4
| pages longer than the document to which it was responding â termed the FSF an
| organization 'dedicated to eliminating restrictions on copying,
| redistribution, and modifying computer programs', and accused the FSF of
| having an 'open and virulent bias against copyrights' and 'blatant bias'
| against the record companies.
`----

http://news.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/04/21/2041241&from=rss

RIAA publicly humiliates judge Nancy Gertner

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.p2pnet.net/story/18787