[News] Microsoft Tells Investors It is Afraid of GNU/Linux on the Desktop

Microsoft Acknowledges Linux Threat to Windows Client

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft for the first time has named Linux distributors Red Hat and
| Canonical as competitors to its Windows client business in its annual filing
| to the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.
|
| The move is an acknowledgement of the first viable competition from Linux to
| Microsoft's Windows client business, due mainly to the use of Linux on
| netbooks, which are rising in prominence as alternatives to full-sized
| notebooks.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/169619/microsoft_acknowledges_linux_threat_to_windows_client.html

Microsoft Blames Open Source for Sales Slump

,----[ Quote ]
| For many of the regularly caffeinated it was the closing of 600 Starbucks
| locations; for a large portion of the medical community, the announcement of
| the sinking crocs ship. As for the tech geeks, it was surely Microsoftâs
| first-ever drop in annual Windows sales that made them realize: Oh my, the
| economy really is messed up!
|
| In this case, however, the economy is not the only culprit. Microsoftâs Q4
| report to the U.S. SEC includes a rundown of their risk and competition
| factors, and on that list are both Linux and open source solutions.
`----

http://www.cmswire.com/cms/enterprise-20/microsoft-blames-open-source-for-sales-slump-005186.php

SpringSource, Canonical, and MySQL join Red Hat on Microsoft's hit list

,----[ Quote ]
| Today, life is a little less rosy for Microsoft, as it calls out in its
| recent 10-K filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission. As TechFlash
| highlights, Google Android is now called out by Microsoft as a competitor, as
| are Apple, Opera, and Google in browsers, whereas only Mozilla was deemed
| worthy of Microsoft's competitive glare in 2008.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-10302552-16.html

Recent:

Open Source An Alternative CAD Source?