[News] [Rival] Serif PagePlus Adds ODF Support

Serif PagePlus X4 desktop publishing software

,----[ Quote ]
| Other key additions in PagePlus X4 include the ability to import MS Word
| documents and OpenOffice.org ODF (open document format) files. PagePlus X4
| will also allow users to anchor objects in relation to specific text,
| columns, frames, margins or pages while editing them. Frames and borders can
| now be dragged-and-dropped into documents too.
`----

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=120462&blogid=18

Portuguese:

A Ãrea cinzenta do ODF

http://softwarelivre.org/portal/comunidade/a-area-cinzenta-do-odf

New resource in French:

Format ODF (Open Document Format)

http://www.projet-plume.org/fr/ressource/odf

Recent:

The gray area of ODF

,----[ Quote ]
| I get very angry to seeing at Wikipedia a message that stating that âappears
| to have a conflict of interest with its subjectâ about the contributions to
| the article â we are all in favor of ODF ? Or not ?
|
| This is exactly what they want â confuse, deceive, hinder, delay â help to
| fail! And hope it serves as a lesson and prove (or a warning) to all those
| who think that everything is solved!
|
| When I was preparing to write this post, I made a complete list with names,
| email addresses, blogs, sites, and in some cases companies of each of
| the âworkers of the gray areaâ that I managed to identify. With the help of
| some confidence friends around the world, also prepared a compilation of
| information that show the questionable not-so-distant past of those folks.
`----

http://homembit.com/2009/07/the-gray-area-of-odf.html

Why Microsoft Hates - No, *Really* Hates - ODF

,----[ Quote ]
| What this means is that Microsoft is only making big money on its Office
| suite, for whose luxurious margins it must therefore fight tooth and nail.
| Which, judging by its behaviour at the ISO, and some more recent stories, is
| exactly what it is doing in the face of growing pressure from open ODF-based
| alternatives like OpenOffice.org.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=2269&blogid=14

Rob Weir Exposes an Anti-ODF Whisper Campaign

,----[ Quote ]
| Alex Brown, the convenor of the OOXML BRM, has been editing Wikipedia's
| article on ODF. That strikes me odd, like finding out Steve Jobs had been
| editing the Microsoft Zune page. Some things are simply inappropriate. It
| puzzles me why Wikipedia allows it, frankly.
|
| If you read the talk page on ODF, you'll see that there are others there
| trying mightily to spin the article on ODF more negatively than is factual.
| And such rudeness! Plenty of smears against Groklaw too, I couldn't help but
| notice. It does seem to me that there is a marked increase in what I view as
| a concerted submarine marketing effort. Some of it is subtle. Most of it is
| not. A fair measure of it is mean-spirited. Some of it is lies, pure and
| simple.
|
| In the good old days, dead people supported Microsoft, if you remember that
| funny headline about a pro-Microsoft astroturfing campaign, but at least it
| wasn't a smear campaign, just pro-Microsoft. Nowadays, I think I would have
| to rewrite the headline to read, "Mean People Support Microsoft." Or worse.
| You see, Groklaw has been visited recently by several OOXML types, including
| Alex Brown, Doug Mahue of Microsoft, and Rick Jelliffe, all singing pretty
| much the same songs, posting on our ODF articles, so I got to watch it close
| up. I puzzled over it, because they seemed so deliberately rude.

http://markmail.org/search/?q=Alex+Brown&q=list%3Aorg.oasis-open.lists.office-comment

ODF Lies and Whispers

,----[ Quote ]
| So what is one to do? You obviously can't trust Wikipedia whatsoever in this
| area. This is unfortunate, since I am a big fan of Wikipedia. But since the
| day when Microsoft decided they needed to pay people to "improve" the ODF and
| OOXML articles, they have been a cesspool of FUD, spin and outright lies,
| seemingly manufactured for Microsoft's re-use in their whisper campaign. My
| advice would be to seek out official information on the standards, from the
| relevant organizations, like OASIS, the chairs of the relevant committees,
| etc. Ask the questions in public places and seek a public response. That is
| the ultimate weakness of FUD and lies. They cannot stand the light of public
| exposure. Sunlight is the best antiseptic.
`----

http://www.robweir.com/blog/2009/06/odf-lies-and-whispers.html

Microsoft Office tries to break ODF

,----[ Quote ]
| Just a quick update to our OpenDocument campaign, with news that Microsoft
| Office has added support for ODF, but in a state that leaves it incompatible
| with every other ODF capable application out there, including OpenOffice.org
| and KOffice.
`----

http://www.fsf.org/blogs/community/odf-office

Sun ODF Plugin 3.1 for Microsoft Office

,----[ Quote ]
| A new version of the ODF Plugin for Microsoft Office is available.
|
| As I wrote in the last ODF Plugin announcement, the Plugin nowadays uses the
| same version number like the underlying OpenOffice.org version, so this
| version is now based on OpenOffice.org 3.1.
`----

http://blogs.sun.com/malte/entry/sun_odf_plugin_3_01

6 Projects We Hope Apple Is Building

,----[ Quote ]
| 2. OpenDocument Format (ODF) support in iWorks
|
| ODF is an ISO standard for office document formats, with many government
| agencies in the world adopt the standard as compulsory interchange format.
| More organizations would be willing to adopt iWorks if ODF is a supported
| format. For consumers, it means their files can be saved in a format that is
| independent of iWorks software version changes.
`----

http://sanziro.com/2009/06/6-projects-we-hope-apple-is-building.html

ODF adoption continues - has it âcrossed the chasmâ?

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.michaeldolan.com/1420