[News] More Network Technology and Telephony Runs Around Linux

New Linux-based technology to make âsmarterâ GPS

,----[ Quote ]
| Sick of having your GPS tell you to turn the wrong way up a one-way street or
| lead you to a dead end? Fear not: Linux-based technology developed at NICTA
| is on its way to help make personal navigation systems more accurate.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com.au/article/313968/new_linux-based_technology_make_smarter_gps

Mobile WiFi/3G hotspot goes multi-network, opens APIs

,----[ Quote ]
| Novatel Wireless announced a new multi-network version of its
| Linux-based "MiFi" mobile hotspot, supporting HSPA, UMTS, EDGE and GPRS. The
| MiFi 2372 appears to be similar to Novatel's Europe-targeted MiFi 2352, but
| adds UMTS (CDMA) support, and is accompanied with a new OpenCGI API designed
| to program the device.
`----

http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/Novatel-Wireless-MiFi-2372-and-OpenCGI/?kc=rss

Linux-based VoIP phone to ship this fall

,----[ Quote ]
| VoIP provider Ooma is readying a Linux-based VoIP desktop phone for shipment
| this fall. Building upon the company's earlier Ooma Hub, the Ooma Telo adds
| up to six DECT 6.0 cordless handsets, improved voice quality, and advanced
| features including mobile transfer and a "connected phonebook," says the
| company.
`----

http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/Ooma-Telo/?kc=rss

Recent:

Bandwidth.com's investment in FreePBX paying dividends

,----[ Quote ]
| It also turns open-source telephony inside out, setting up FreePBX as the
| focal point for future innovation in open-source telephony. I suspect that
| FreePBX's new modular architecture and standards-based frameworks may inspire
| application developers to target new telephony applications to FreePBX to be
| able to run with any "engine".
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-10302835-16.html

Six steps to future-proof your telephone system

,----[ Quote ]
| 2. Consider open source
| More and more organizations are running mission-critical parts of their
| business on open source. What was once thought to be the focus of a small
| group of uber-geeks has emerged as a viable enterprise option. The open
| source community boasts many developers, creating the next big breakthroughs.
| While large organizations may topple (read: Nortel), Open source can live on
| beyond the corporation. It also delivers cost-savings and avoids vendor
| lock-in.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9595_22-322960.html

Telephony stack ports to Moblin, Moorestown

,----[ Quote ]