[News] Murdoch Wants to Apply Intellectual Monopolies to News, Smithsonian Going the Other Way

  • Subject: [News] Murdoch Wants to Apply Intellectual Monopolies to News, Smithsonian Going the Other Way
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 07 Aug 2009 13:46:29 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Rupert Murdoch vs. Rupert Murdoch On Free vs. Paid News Websites

,----[ Quote ]
| Either way, given those statements, perhaps it's no surprise at all that
| Murdoch is now planning to put paywalls across all his online news properties
| in the relatively near future. Apparently the plan will be based on the WSJ
| model, meaning that some stories were be available for free, but there will
| be severe limits. Given how many old school newspaper guys have talked about
| putting up a paywall, this isn't much of a surprise (though, it is still odd
| given his comments from two years ago).
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090805/1904295782.shtml

Smithsonian Commons and Sustainable Content Usage Policies

,----[ Quote ]
| Congratulations to the Smithsonian for thinking about the future lives of
| their content in such a sustainable fashion. Weâre very excited to see the
| future developments that the Smithsonian Commons brings to free culture on an
| institutional scale.

Internet Archive orders Google to delay culture grab

,----[ Quote ]
| In October, Google settled a lawsuit from the US Authors Guild and the
| Association of American Publishers over its Book Search project, which that
| seeks to digitize the works inside the world's libraries. Still awaiting
| court approval after an October hearing, it would - among other things - give
| the company a unique license to scan and sell and post ads against orphan
| works, titles whose rights holders can't be found.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/08/06/archive_challenges_google/

Recent:

Murdoch papers paid Â1m to gag phone-hacking victims

,----[ Quote ]
| Rupert Murdoch's News Group NewsÂpapers has paid out more than Â1m to settle
| legal cases that threatened to reveal evidence of his journalists' repeated
| involvement in the use of criminal methods to get stories.
`----

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2009/jul/08/murdoch-papers-phone-hacking

Related:

Times Online denies knowledge of link spam campaign

,----[ Quote ]
| Piotr Wyspianski, a manager at Sitelynx, was revealed on the Waxy.org blog to
| have waged a one-man campaign to game web aggregation communities such as
| Digg, Metafilter and StumbleUpon with over a thousand links to Times Online
| stories. Before working for Sitelynx, he had form for a similar astroturfing
| effort for his own online jewellery store.
|
| Predictably, the Waxy.org story has hit the front page of Digg and some
| Diggers have piled in to condemn Times Online, blaming a conspiracy by the
| original Digger himself. "I haven't respected The Times since Murdoch bought
| it, since that effectively means I can no longer trust its content. Fuck you
| old man!" wrote one.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/01/31/times_online_link_spam/

Hacker testifies News Corp unit hired him

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idUSN2334980420080424?feedType=RSS&feedName=technologyNews&rpc=22&sp=true
http://tinyurl.com/4lyhpc