[News] ODF News and Progress from the Field

Fight The Empire With Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| I have recently been in touch with Novell, the Open Document Format Alliance
| (ODF Alliance), and some of our local Legislators to find out what kind of
| movement we have here in the state of Utah and if an Open Standard is
| possible because ideally I would like to see state agencies step away from
| the proprietary formats used by Microsoft and Corel and use open formats.
| Many of our state agencies have been restricted from funding for expensive
| Microsoft products in support of Open Office. I long for a change that will
| require State and Local Government to use Open standards, but I realize that
| a change of this magnitude will take time and patience.
`----

http://technitiatives.com/?p=131

Office Suites

,----[ Quote ]
| So what options are available for UNIX/Linux systems? I have found there are
| six common office/productivity solutions for these platforms with which most
| of us are already familiar.
`----

http://elevenislouder.blogspot.com/2009/08/office-suites.html

Tables Sprint in Copenhagen

,----[ Quote ]
| Casper also took the plunge on loading and quite quickly got stuff up and
| working, and with the commit he did right before I left his apartment, most
| of the features here should now be loading correctly from ODF.
`----

http://estan.dose.se/2009/07/tables-sprint-in-copenhagen

ODF Plugfest: Working in Progress

,----[ Quote ]
| These days a number of organizations and ODF implementors are working
| together to organize a second ODF Plugfest in parallel with the upcoming
| OpenOffice.org Con 2009, that will take place in Orvieto (Italy) in November.
`----

http://robertogaloppini.net/2009/08/06/odf-plugfest-working-in-progress/

Microsoft offers Office 2010 file format 'ballot' to stop EU antitrust probe

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft did not spell out how the file format "ballot" will appear to
| users, or what choices, other than ODF (Open Document Format), the
| open-source
| word processing, spreadsheet and presentation document standard, will be
| shown.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9136296/Microsoft_offers_Office_2010_file_format_ballot_to_stop_EU_antitrust_probe?taxonomyId=1

'Ballot Screen' Heading to Office 2010, Too

http://windowsitpro.com/article/articleid/102601/ballot-screen-heading-to-office-2010-too.html

But Microsoft does not /properly/ support ODF.

Converting OpenOffice files to/from Microsoft Office files

,----[ Quote ]
| Whatever your choice, there's a fair chance you'll be able to enjoy
| cross-office, cross-platform integration with a high level of accuracy,
| saving lots of time and trouble in getting the files to open and look the
| right way. Instead of working hard, you now have a set of tools that will
| toil for you.
`----

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/oo-converters.html

Recent:

Malaysia to Switch Government Agencies to Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| To date, 462 agencies from a total of 720 agencies have implemented Open
| Source Software, which managed to provide a savings of more than RM47
| million, said Mampu deputy director of ICT (information and communications
| technology) policy and planning division, Tan King Ing.
`----

http://geek2live.blogspot.com/2009/05/malaysia-to-switch-government-agencies.html

Malaysian Government Saves Big with Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| Open Source in the public sector seemed to be all the rage in 2008, with
| government agencies all over Europe â not to mention agencies of the EU
| itself â adopting, and in many cases, mandating Open Source software and
| standards. Of course, Europe was not the only continent cozying up with a
| copy of the source code â governments in Africa, Asia, North & South America,
| and all over the South Pacific were exploring and implementing Open Source in
| 2008. Now, one of those governments has revealed the savings-side of OSS, and
| the numbers they're tossing around are pretty nice.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/malaysian-government-saves-big-open-source

OSS adoption gaining ground

,----[ Quote ]
| OPEN-SOURCE software Âadoption is set to experience a steady growth in
| Malaysia, said open-source technology Âsolutions provider, Red Hat Inc
`----.

http://star-techcentral.com/tech/story.asp?file=/2008/12/19/technology/20081219175028&sec=technology

Open source software helps govt save RM32mil

,----[ Quote ]
| The government managed to save RM32 million in expenditure through the
| implementation of open source software (OSS) in government agencies and
| departments, Chief Secretary to the Government Tan Sri Mohd Sidek Hassan
| said.
|
| He said the saving for the first phase of the project, involving OSS
| implementation in 15 agencies and departments, was RM10 million.
|
| Some RM22 million was saved in the second phase which involved the
| installation of OpenOffice software on 10,682 computers and the use of 174
| products from the open source competency centre, he said.
`----

http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/Wednesday/NewsBreak/20081105185802/Article/index_html

Related:

Malaysia seen as top market for open-source convergence

,----[ Quote ]
| Malaysia is a leading adopter of open-source convergence software, according
| to key speakers at the AsterConference 2008, held recently in Kuala Lumpur.
`----

http://www.thestandard.com/news/2008/09/22/malaysia-seen-top-market-open-source-convergence

Let's complain about Microsoft restricting choice in the market (part deux)

,----[ Quote ]
| Yoon Kit wrote about being forced to pay the Microsoft tax when buying
| computers from computer manufacturers (eg Dell). I submitted a complaint to
| the Ministry of Internal Trade and Consumer Affairs and received an official
| acknowledgment from the ministry that the Penang branch office will
| investigate the complaint.
|
| I strongly urge everybody who uses non-Microsoft operating systems on their
| computers bought from Dell or any other manufacturers to write in through the
| web interface and make an official complaint. Make your voices heard so that
| we can stop being forced to pay for software we don't use!
`----

http://www.openmalaysiablog.com/2008/09/lets-complain-a.html

OpenOffice.org deployed in Malaysian Schools

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.openmalaysiablog.com/2008/08/openofficeorg-d.html