[News] GNU/Linux Optimised for Sub-notebooks to Compete with $0 Windows

Linux UI designer working on netbook-optimized calendar, mail

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux-powered netbook users that have been missing their doctors'
| appointments and kids' school plays because operating a calendar application
| on their tiny portable is, at best, clunky and painful, can finally breathe
| an accurately-scheduled sigh of relief. Srinivasa Ragavan, who is one of the
| user interface developers for the open-source Evolution personal information
| manager project, has taken it upon himself to develop netbook-happy frontends
| for the calendar and mail portions of Evolution.
`----

http://www.downloadsquad.com/2009/08/06/linux-ui-designer-working-on-netbook-optimized-calendar-mail/

Moblin Linux - The next big operating system

,----[ Quote ]
| Mark my words. In 2015, two out of every three netbooks will be running
| Moblin. Computer users worldwide will be able to enjoy a free, super-fast,
| super-beautiful, lightweight, secure operating system that will cater to
| their simple joyful needs, focusing around media, Internet and social life
| online. Best of all? They will not even know they're running Linux.
|
| I have spent the last few days playing with Moblin 2. Boy, it's something
| else. It's such a radical leap from the conventional Linux desktop you will
| be hard-pressed to believe that you're using the geekiest operating system in
| the world.
`----

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/moblin-2.html

Recent:

math: Windows 7 + netbook = failure - GNU/Linux as remaining winner!

,----[ Quote ]
| Windows XP is basically gone, so an OEM license is worth 20 USD for a
| manufacturer, no problem at all. Windows 7 for Netbooks is the same as all
| other Windows 7 variants - no lean, light, vlighted, 7lited or whatever. Just
| a Starter version like in Windows Vista which gives you the "power" to run
| maximum 3 applications at the same time. Where again is the advantage? Oh
| yes, now Windows 7 Starter crippled edition costs a bit more than 20 USD for
| OEM, I would say around 99 USD after discounts, tax not included or did you
| think MS stops earning money?
`----

http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,1000000567,10012288o-2000637757b,00.htm

Reports: Microsoft Cripples Windows 7 Starter Edition in Hopes of Netbook
Upgrades

,----[ Quote ]
| With Windows 7 Microsoft is releasing cheap versions of its OS for netbooks,
| but faces the challenge of getting customers to buy pricier versions
`----

http://www.dailytech.com/Reports+Microsoft+Cripples+Windows+7+Starter+Edition+in+Hopes+of+Netbook+Upgrades/article14532.htm

Microsoftâs Windows 7 May Not Cure Netbook Headache

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601103&sid=ahmXCOAixVMw&refer=us