Re: Looking For A Slammin' PreAmp for This Vocal....

Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

> I'm thinking Neve but not sure?

There is a lot of religion with this, your choices depend on what you have,
don't they? - the RNP is not likely to break anything. My guess is that you
want it mellowed ... ? ... it is sharp.

> Any suggestions?

IF mic = RE20, then try MD441. IF mic = MD441 then try RE20. It sounds to me
as if some "de la mode" valve condenser is used, I don't think it is real
Neumann nor good makebelieve like the MCA SP1. KM86 might be just right for
that vox btw. ...

> http://www.schestowitz.com/Music/Recording/Roy%20Schestowitz%20-%20The%20Lady%20Is%20A%20Tramp.mp3

I don't like the mix, vox is too low and poorly integrated. Also you may
want to verify that your absolute polarity is right.

> http://www.schestowitz.com/Music/Recording/Roy%20Schestowitz%20-%20Be%20Careful%20It%27s%20My%20Heart.mp3

I like this mix slightly less, it also fails to give the impression that the
guy is singing with the ensemble. In this style of music that is in my
opinion very beneficial because you then get the influence of the band sound
on the voice.

My dislike of the mix is mostly about the mic and next about the relative
level.

> This is the new sound and I think it's going to be a biggie!

I seriously do not think so. Don't try to out-cohen cohen, also the whisky
and cigarettes style of singing has been getting increasingly outmoded since
the real masters of that craft died, is there anybody around but Leonard
Cohen now?

> These are just MP3 files so please take that into account.

> Suggestions requested!

All of the above said: the voice is potentially interesting, but needs work
and a good coach, the guy stresses too much and then sounds as if off-key
even if he probably isn't.

> Thanks!

I hope, but I wonder .... my small soundcrafts seem to have the kind of
preamp I guess that you want, but that's just a guess, they are epm's. But
then I always liked finding the "not costly stuff" that does the job since
my recordings still seem to be a good place to put spare money ...

  Kind regards

  Peter Larsen