[News] [Rival] Microsoft to Pay Schools for Competition Crimes

Schools await settlements in Microsoft lawsuits

,----[ Quote ]
| Three local school districts will receive a combined $1 million starting this
| year as a result of a legal settlement, and educators plan to use that money
| to put more technology in the hands of students.
|
| [...]
|
| Wisconsin plaintiffs from a class-action lawsuit reached a settlement with
| Microsoft in 2006. The plaintiffs claimed that Microsoft violated state
| antitrust and unfair competition laws by overcharging customers for its
| products, according to a legal notice. The company denied the claims.
|
| District officials have not finalized their plans for the money, but they are
| eager to give students the tools they need to remain competitive in the 21st
| century workforce.
`----

http://www.wausaudailyherald.com/article/20090802/WDH0101/908020470/1981

YP - Hood has recieved Stateâs $40 million from Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| A $100 million settlement between the State of Mississippi and Microsoft was
| reached June 10, 2009, in order to settle anti-trust claims. The agreement
| called for Microsoft to pay the state $40 million within 40 days. Up to $60
| million more will be provided to consumers, businesses, all
| county/local/municipal government entities, public schools and public school
| districts.
`----

http://yallpolitics.com/index.php/yp/post/17433/

Recent:

Microsoft settles suit with Mississippi for $100 mln

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft faced a rush of class-action suits on behalf of consumers in
| individual states after a U.S. federal judge found in 2000 that the world's
| largest software company abused its monopoly power by tying its Internet
| Explorer browser to its Windows operating system.
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssTechMediaTelecomNews/idUSN1152686420090611

Related:

Crimes Microsoft Gets Away With - So Far

,----[ Quote ]
| News publications are cautious about making accusations, and because of that,
| some nasty acts of Microsoft are essentially being erased from the record.
|
| [...]
|
| Microsoft convinced Baystar Capital to put $50 Million dollars into SCO's
| lawsuit against IBM and other Open Source users, and promised to "backstop"
| Baystar's investment if SCO lost money, according to this sworn testimony.
| But I'm told that one person's testimony, even sworn testimony, isn't proof.
`----

http://technocrat.net/no-cache/d/2008/7/30/46981

Microsoft tries to avoid Ballmer deposition in Vista suit

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Corp. Chief Executive Steve Ballmer is the subject of a new legal
| squabble in a lawsuit over the company's Windows Vista marketing practices.
`----

http://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/stories/2008/09/29/daily37.html

Is MS Preening in Public Posts?

,----[ Quote ]
| The author of the email, posted on ZDNet in a Talkback forum on the Microsoft
| antitrust trial, claimed her name was Michelle Bradley and that she
| had "retired" from Microsoft last week.
|
| "A verbal memo [no email allowed] was passed around the MS campus encouraging
| MS employee's to post to ZDNet articles like this one," the email said.
|
| "The theme is 'Microsoft is responsible for all good things in computerdom.'
| The government has no right to prevent MS from doing anything. Period.
| The 'memo' suggests we use fictional names and state and to identify
| ourselves as students," the author claimed.
`----

http://www.wired.com/techbiz/media/news/1999/02/17745

Unclear if Microsoft memo will be allowed evidence

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/marketsNews/idUKL1051259520070910?rpc=44