Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Sites Vote Against Microsoft CEO

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Investors: Steve Ballmer's a Failure
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Roughly 40% of respondents to a "Wall Street Journal" poll aren't
> | pleased.
> `----
>
> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32269698/ns/business-motley_fool/

Sounds like dodgy times ahead.
They should resurrect the childish One Laptop Per Munchkin
laptop project. If 40% of respondents to "Wall Street Journal" poll
responded negatively, then 60% of the munchkins can disagree with
that poll and win the argument.

> [...]
>

> Ballmer ordered to testify in 'Vista' case
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | A federal judge ordered Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer to testify in a
> | class-action lawsuit revolving around Microsoft's marketing prior to the
> | launch of its Windows Vista operating system.
> `----
>
> http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/microsoft/archives/155137.asp
>

> Does Ballmer Need To Go?
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Microsoft?s dramatic decision this weekend to withdraw its offer for
> | Yahoo and not pursue a hostile bid raises a whole host of questions.
> | What happens to Yahoo now? What happens to Microsoft? Or is this just a
> | tactic to drive down the price of Yahoo?s shares so that Microsoft can
> | go hostile with a lower offer? And if the deal really is dead, does
> | Steve Ballmer need to start looking for a new job?
> `----
>
> http://www.techcrunch.com/2008/05/04/does-ballmer-need-to-go/
>

> Hey! Ho! Time for Ballmer to Go?
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | The investment community likes Steve Ballmer. He's competent, aggressive
> | and occasionally crazy. He's been at Microsoft's helm for eight years,
> | during which time the technology landscape has drastically changed
> | several times over. And although Microsoft hasn't always kept up, it has
> | remained ridiculously profitable.
> `----
>
> http://blog.wired.com/business/2008/04/betting-on-ball.html
>

> Make the wrong choice on Yahoo, and Ballmer could lose his job
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Microsoft's board yesterday gave CEO Steve Ballmer "broad discretion" to
> | decide on his own whether Microsoft should raise its offer for Yahoo,
> | initiate a proxy fight for the company or walk away, the Wall Street
> | Journal reports. That means if Ballmer makes the wrong call, it could
> | cost him his job.
> `----
>
> http://valleywag.com/386130
make-the-wrong-choice-on-yahoo-and-ballmer-could-lose-his-job

> Microsoft Should Fire Steve Ballmer, or Hire SuperNanny. Or Both.
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | What should happen is this: Ballmer should re-canvass Yahoo's largest
> | shareholders and ask what firm price in cash would get them on-board,
> | and then offer it. No more futzing through middlemen bankers, just ask
> | and deliver. I doubt this will happen -- Ballmer is caught up among
> | internal politics, his own increasing impotence, and childish Yahoo
> | intransigence -- so he is stuck and looking more and like someone who
> | keeps threatening to ground his kids, but never does. As we have all
> | learned from watching SuperNanny, the trouble is rarely with the kids;
> | it's almost always the nitwit parents.
> |
> | Such is the case here, so my recipe for action? Fire Ballmer. Think how
> | quickly things would change at Microsoft, and in this deal. And then
> | hire SuperNanny and film some Microsoft meetings. I'd watch.

article/74460-microsoft-should-fire-steve-ballmer-or-hire-supernanny-or-both

> Steve Ballmer's Nine Year Retirement Plan
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Bill Gates is retiring from Microsoft this year and the exec he left in
> | charge, Steve Ballmer, is ready to leave in nine years.
> `----
>
> http://blogs.eweek.com/cebit/content/cebit
steve_ballmers_nine_year_retirement_plan.html

> Does Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer need an intervention?
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer may need an intervention before this
> | obsession with Yahoo?which is really about an obsession over
> | Google?spins out of control.
> `----
>
> http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=8597
>

> Is Microsoft's Ballmer a bad dealmaker?
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | The bid for Yahoo that helped sink the market value of Microsoft (MSFT)
> | by more than $20 billion in one day in early February is one of the
> | latest in a string of acquisitions and major investment stakes Microsoft
> | has initiated since CEO Steve Ballmer took over in 2000 that have been
> | punished by the stock market as misjudgments.
> |
> | "Some learn more quickly than others. It doesn't look like Mr. Ballmer
> | is learning that quickly," says UCLA Anderson School of Management
> | professor Richard Roll, lead author of a study that analyzed 11 years of
> | merger and acquisition announcements by 2,589 CEOs at 1,740 U.S.
> | companies.
> `----
>
> http://www.usatoday.com/tech/techinvestor
corporatenews/2008-04-23-ballmer_N.htm

> UCLA Professor: Microsoft CEO Ballmer a ?hubris-infected serial acquirer?
> with dismal track record
>
> http://macdailynews.com/index.php/weblog/comments/16916/
>

> Bear Stearns's Advice To Microsoft
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Co-founder Bill Gates can't be thrilled with watching
> | Ballmer drain the company's cash. He didn't get so rich by buying at the
> | top ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> | of the market.
> `----
>
> http://www.forbes.com/technology/2008/03/17
microsoft-bear-stearns-tech-ebiz-cx_ec_0316msft.html

> Microsoft says to borrow money for Yahoo deal
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Microsoft Corp said on Monday it may borrow money for the first time in
> | its history to fund a portion of its $44.6 billion unsolicited offer for
> | Yahoo Inc.
> `----
>
> http://www.reuters.com/article/companyNews/idUSN0455692920080205
>

> Microsoft's DreamSpark ? What a Giveaway
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | The rest of the $44.6bn (£22.3bn) deal would be financed with an
> | undisclosed amount of credit.
> |
> | What that means is that it must squeeze as much money as it can from its
> | operations to fund that debt and still pay dividends to shareholders,
> | who will be looking for some payback from the Yahoo takeover. Giving
> | away software is the last thing it would want to do in these
> | circumstances, and the DreamSpark announcement shows just how worried it
> | is about the future.
> `----
>
> http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/microsofts-dreamspark-%E2%80
93-what-giveaway

> Will Deal-Making Chiefs Ever Learn? Maybe.
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Mr. Ballmer was considered a ?hubris-infected? chief under the study?s
> | definition, because of Microsoft?s value-destroying deal to invest $100
> | million in Vertical Net in 2000. He followed up with deals for
> | Intertainer and BroadBand Office, which were also followed by
> | below-market returns for shareholders.
> |
> | In all, Mr. Ballmer made 15 deals between 2000 and 2002, with an average
> | market-adjusted shareholder return of negative 4.59 percent.
> `----
>
> http://dealbook.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/04/08
will-deal-making-chiefs-ever-learn-maybe/index.html

> Mergers of Corporate Giants Not Likely to Benefit Consumers
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | ?There is little if any evidence that increased corporate size in
> | already-large national and international firms produces greater
> | technological innovation,? writes Elizabeth Sanders, Professor of
> | Government at Cornell University. ?To the contrary, it probably leads to
> | less, given lower competitive pressures, and the starving of research in
> | debt-burdened companies.?
> `----
>
> http://mslawnews.wordpress.com/2008/04/09/corporate_mergers/
>

> Can Ballmer pilot Microsoft through a changed tech course?
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Can Ballmer steer Microsoft out of the roadblocks?
> |
> | The highly competitive Ballmer, you might say, is the man who cried
> | "nice." And like the boy who cried wolf, no one believed him. The
> | software giant's attempt to make nice with much of the developer
> | community by opening up its APIs for key products was greeted with a
> | jaundiced eye by regulators at the powerful European Commission.
> |
> | However sincere Microsoft's stated change of heart may be, it is
> | becoming clearer and clearer that Microsoft -- which knows it has to
> | change -- is still struggling to find a fresher path.
> |
> | What's a poor CEO to do?
> |
> | Now that Bill Gates has effectively left the building, Ballmer is free
> | to transform Microsoft, a job made all the tougher by the enormous
> | reservoir of mistrust the company has engendered over the years.
> |
> | Case in point: the open APIs. Microsoft will give its competitors free
> | access to the application programming interfaces and protocols it uses
> | to ensure interoperability between its own products, a very significant
> | change in business practices.
> `----
>
> http://weblog.infoworld.com/tech-bottom-line/archives/2008/02
microsoft_open.html

> EU May Fine Microsoft Over Antitrust Case, People Say
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | The fine may be announced as soon as Feb. 27, said the people, who
> | declined to be identified because the decision isn't public. Microsoft
> | said in a Jan. 24 U.S. regulatory filing that the penalty may be as much
> | as 1.5 billion euros ($2.2 billion).
> `----
>
> http://www.bloomberg.com/apps
news?pid=conewsstory&refer=conews&tkr=MSFT:US&sid=aG8SwG8llTmM

> Microsoft's Last Big Beat: Internet Domination or Death
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | What can $44.6B USD mean? Well, for Microsoft (MSFT) it may mean the
> | cost of survival.
> `----
>
> http://seekingalpha.com
article/63876-microsoft-s-last-big-beat-internet-domination-or-death?source=yahoo

> Will Microsoft Survive the Next 10 Years?
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | I am not really an expert in this but when I read all the negative
> | headlines and articles I ask myself if Microsoft really will survive
> | the next 10 years.
> |
> | [...]
> |
> | I am pretty sure that the Open Source Community, the new Ubuntu,
> | Google and of course Apple are those companies that are ready for
> | our century and they will get more and more people that know what
> | they really want.
> `----
>
> http://websquirrel.blogspot.com/2007/03
will-microsoft-survive-next-10-years.html