[News] New Lows for Intellectual Monopolies, Boss Quitting

Court filings are protected by copyright, says lawyer

,----[ Quote ]
| A US lawyer has claimed that copyright is violated when courts pass legal
| submissions on to a commercial publisher. The lawyer claims that the US
| courts' behaviour undermines the hundreds of hours of work put into
| submissions.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/08/10/court_filing_copyright/

EMI Loses Its Other Silicon Valley Wiz

,----[ Quote ]
| And, of course, the fact that EMI become one of the most aggressive companies
| suing every potentially innovative startup out there didn't engender much
| confidence that the company had figured out how to embrace the new online
| world.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090807/1910165806.shtml

What's A Big City Without A Newspaper? Still A Big City Last I Checked

,----[ Quote ]
| A bunch of folks have been asking my opinion on this past weekend's NY Times
| Magazine article by Michael Sokolove entitled What's a Big City Without a
| Newspaper? To be honest, there's not much to say about it. The article itself
| sort of meanders around, and doesn't make much of a point. Sokolove is
| wistful for the "good old days" and hopes that there's a future for
| newspapers. He dips his toes into some of the new experiments out there to
| cover the news, and spends a lot of time with the guy who is currently CEO of
| the bankrupt big Philly newspapers.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090809/1525445819.shtml

Recent:

Moral Panics in the Copyright Wars

,----[ Quote ]
| This is a new blog, designed to provide feedback to and discussion about the
| issues raised in my just published book "Moral Panics and the Copyright
| Wars," available here and here. In terms of feedback, I am interested in
| obvious things like printing errors caught (I have caught 10 that I am happy
| to point out and did to the publisher already), arguments people think were
| wrong or overstated, things I missed, as well as good old fashioned
| disagreements.
`----

http://moralpanicsandthecopyrightwars.blogspot.com/

The Monopolists' Con of Constitutionality - part 1

,----[ Quote ]
| This is the first of a four part series examining the way in which people who
| should know better maintain and reinforce the con against the US citizen that
| copyright and patent are sanctioned by the US Constitution.
|
| As should be increasingly obvious in these days of instantaneous diffusion,
| the US Constitution is being abusively cited in ever more desperate attempts
| by the incumbent monopolists to demonstrate a solid foundation for copyright
| and patent. Naturally, the constitution can do nothing of the sort, so the
| corporate lackeys who resort to such abuse in pretending otherwise are
| attempting a con. In this way, it is solely a matter of confidence that
| anyone is able to persuade their audience that copyright and patent are
| natural rights of the individual and properly recognised by the US
| Constitution as deserving of protection by a necessarily empowered
| government.
`----

http://www.digitalproductions.co.uk/index.php?id=204

The most insane bit of U.S. copyright law?

,----[ Quote ]
| My dad is a professional musician; he plays blues and jazz and original piano
| music, and has made five records. For professional musicians outside of pop
| music (and often in in pop as well), copyright law is already simply a burden
| to the point that it is almost universal ignored. Gigging blues and jazz
| musicians have long used "fake books", unauthorized charts of the melodies,
| lyrics and chord structure of jazz standards. No one is worried about other
| musicians infringing on their copyrights, because jazz and blues (among other
| genres) are rooted in a culture of borrowing and adaptation. It's inimical to
| creativity to draw sharp lines between what can and can't be borrowed or
| adapted, and indeed in academic jazz programs one learns to improvise by
| practicing the great "licks" on classic recordings.
`----

http://ragesossscholar.blogspot.com/2009/08/most-insane-bit-of-us-copyright-law.html

Stephen Fry on copyright

,----[ Quote ]
| At an event in London last night, the writer, actor, and gadget fan Stephen
| Fry launched a surprisingly ferocious attack on the music and movie
| industries over the way they have acted to defend their copyright.
`----

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/technology/

Richard Marx (!) attacks RIAA after $1.92M Thomas verdict

,----[ Quote ]
| Jammie Thomas-Rasset was held liable to sharing 24 songs, including one by
| pop crooner Richard Marx. But the lawsuit wasn't done in Marx's nameâthis
| week, he called out the recording industry's "greedy actions."
`----

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2009/06/richard-marx-attacks-riaa-after-19m-thomas-verdict.ars

Moby: The RIAA Needs to be Disbanded

,----[ Quote ]