[News] [Rival] Microsoft's + XML = "Patent Terrorism"

"What we're seeing though now can be loosely described as patent terrorism,
where people are using their patent horde as a threat [...] It's almost like a
cold war stand over tactic; where I have these patents and if you breach these
patents, I'm going to come after you and sue you."

        --James Eagleton, systems product manager for Sun Microsystems

Microsoft gets XML patent

,----[ Quote ]
| For a few years the Vole had been trying to create open standards derived
| from its own XML-based file formats, such as XPS and Office XML. True, much
| of its work was seen as an attempt to stop competing formats, such as the
| Open Document Format. However Microsoft did get some support for its cunning
| plan.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1528745/microsoft-xml-patent

Jon 'Maddog' Hall on ODF and OOXML:

Open Xarxes interviews Jon 'Maddog' Hall

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4XxvXdaPBw

Related:

Hot stuffin' in Greece?

,----[ Quote ]
| After the voting of the Greek HoD you may ask why the votes were 14 in total,
| when the organisations appointed to the committee are just 12. That's only
| the latest of the magical wonders around OpenXML. Â
|
| [...]
|
| New voting members are joining the committee at the last minute:
|
| Â Â However, during the discussion, the representative of the Information
| Â Â Society showed the fax he had received, to which was attached the
| Â Â decision 19103/08 of the ELOT administration, dated 1 February 2008,
| Â Â which modifies the composition of the Committee by adding four new
| Â Â organisations: the Ministry of Education, two departments of the Ministry
| Â Â of Economics, and Information Society S.A. The representatives of NTUA
| Â Â had not been informed of this decision. Â Â Â
`----

http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-42845/hot-stuffin-in-greece

OOXML/ODF: Just One Battlefield in a Much Bigger War

,----[ Quote ]
| In a future world of all-cloud devices, the notion of a desktop Linux, like
| the notion of a desktop Windows or OS X machine, would be very different.
| Certainly of these three operating systems, Linux has the best reputation and
| capability for going small and fast. Â
|
| Even if this sci-fi-sounding world does not come to be, I am increasingly
| convinced that the next big new market in IT is the cloud sector--a sector
| for which Linux (and ODF) is already well-suited. Â
`----

http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2008-02-22-021-26-OP-BZ-SV

Bam! Comical Creese debunks OpenDocumentFormat Alliance

,----[ Quote ]
| You are free to inspect the irregularities website that documents few cases
| reported by the online press and blogs. We got much more reports on an
| informal base per email. The Swedish single employee story is not credible,
| actually committee stuffing took place in Sweden. Â
|
| Â Â On loopholes, thatâs another subjective call, but since Microsoft
| Â Â competitors managed to establish control over a standards initiative with
| Â Â potentially dire consequences for one of Microsoftâs most important
| Â Â business domains, we are not surprised that Microsoft (legitimately,
| Â Â albeit with what some consider to be poor standards etiquette) exploited
| Â Â the loopholes. As we noted, we assume ISO will update its procedures to
| Â Â eliminate the loopholes in the future. Â Â Â
|
| What?
|
| Â Â Microsoft competitors managed to establish control over a standards
| Â Â initiativeâ
|
| What?
|
| Â Â Microsoft competitors managed to establish control over a standards
| Â Â initiative with potentially dire consequences for one of Microsoftâs most
| Â Â important business domains, we are not surprised that Microsoft â
| Â Â exploited the loopholes. Â
|
| ???
|
| Â Â but since Microsoft competitors managed to establish control over a
| Â Â standards initiative with potentially dire consequences for one of
| Â Â Microsoftâs most important business domains, we are not surprised that
| Â Â Microsoft (legitimately, albeit with what some consider to be poor
| Â Â standards etiquette) exploited the loopholes. Â Â
`----

http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-41447/bam-comical-creese-debunks-opendocumentformat-alliance

Microsoftâs secretive standards orgs in Former Yugoslavia

,----[ Quote ]
| Croatian laws keep its national bodyâs votes secret, so the only way for the
| Croatian public to find out how the process went would be if a board member
| illegally leaked information out of CSI. This is, of course, unlikely to
| happen. And the Serbian national standardization body is not officially
| formed, so those two votes were easy for Microsoft, and probably not only
| ones around the globe. Â Â Â
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2007/092407-ooxml.html?page=1

Microsoft Tech Ed 2007: OpenXML