[News] UK Government May be Leaning Away from Microsoft, Towards Free Software

UK Government ditches Microsoft's Cloud in favour of Open Source?

,----[ Quote ]
| Obviously, I would want our 'National Cloud' (not that I want any Cloud at
| all thanks -I prefer owning my own data) to use Open Standards and Open
| Source technology; e.g. Nimbus, Eucalyptus et al. I would like the debate to
| start before we read the announcement about what they bought from whom. It
| would be a disaster for Open Source software if the National Cloud was based
| on proprietary technology.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=2432&blogid=17

Reportedly they choose Google over monopoly abuser Microsoft.

Open Source for America: A resource for the Gov2.0 CTO

,----[ Quote ]
| With this post Iâd like to tell you a bit more about the coalition Open
| Source for America and why I believe it is so important for our collective
| future.  I would also like to encourage you to join this coalition yourself.
| Whether you represent industry, academia, non-profit organizations or are an
| individual technologist this coalition needs your help and support.
`----

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/tech-manager/?p=1804

Recent:

Why can't local government and open source be friends?

,----[ Quote ]
| Nobody seems to have stood up in a meeting and said: "You know, there's lots
| of very good open source content management systems (CMS) out there - there's
| one called Wordpress which is free and eminently customisable." This is
| peculiar, as Wordpress was available (and as solid as any CMS) in 2005, runs
| on MySQL and PHP (which are both free products used by some of the largest
| companies in the world, such as airlines and Yahoo). And there are pots of
| programmers around with MySQL and PHP skills.
`----

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2009/aug/07/local-government-open-source-birmingham-website-costs

Open Source for Britain?

,----[ Quote ]
| There's no doubt that the state of open source in government is even more
| parlous here than in the US, and so the need for such an organisation is even
| more pressing. But I wonder whether there's quite the critical mass here: are
| there enough companies basing their business around open source to fund such
| an organisation? And, even more critically, could they come up with a better
| name than Open Source for Britain?
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/toolbox/open-source/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=2376&blogid=14

UK Still Lags At Open Source