[News] New Funding Gains and Capital for Free Software

Open source living on VC time

,----[ Quote ]
| The price on the deal, $362 million plus the assumption of debt, is curiously
| close to what another Java framework outfit, JBOSS, fetched over three years
| ago.
|
| This may also make VMWare a more powerful adversary against Red Hat, although
| I had thought they were competing with Citrixâ Xensource. Silly me.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=4631

Peter Fenton Has That Magic Open-Source Touch

,----[ Quote ]
| Rather than âexpensive sales efforts and negotiations with the upper
| management to get the most money possible,â the people that will be using the
| software can easily download and try the product. This helps the best
| products proliferate and weeds out the underperformers.
`----

http://blogs.wsj.com/venturecapital/2009/08/11/peter-fenton-has-that-magic-open-source-touch/

Google gives $300K to OSU Open Source Lab

,----[ Quote ]
| In yet another show of support for open source projects, Google has made
| another $300,000 gift to the Oregon State University Open Source Lab,
| increasing its cumulative support of academiaâs premiere open source
| development and hosting operation to more than $1 million. The new funds will
| support OSL efforts to provide hosting services used by many of today's most
| recognized open source projects and communities.
`----

http://www.kval.com/news/tech/52969777.html

Related:

Performance Technologies Joins Open Source Development Labs (OSDL) Carrier
Grade Linux Working Group

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=109&STORY=/www/story/10-11-2006/0004449489&EDATE=