[News] A Call for Web Sites to Provide GNU/Linux Comparisons

An Open Letter To Tech Review Sites

,----[ Quote ]
| Have you considered embracing Linux in any of your articles? If you have, but
| have not acted on such thoughts, why is that? Is it the Linux learning curve?
| The "lack of benchmarks"? Simply the lack of resources on the part of your
| editors and product evaluators? After speaking with several editors from
| fellow publications, these seem to be most of the excuses at hand. However,
| at Phoronix Media, we have the solutions to these problems -- and they are
| free and easy to adopt. I would invite you to think how using Linux to
| complement your Windows testing in hardware reviews could benefit your
| publication by providing more thorough reviews to fulfill the needs of more
| readers, wooing more hardware companies with having another feature to offer,
| and generate additional page views from having more content.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=open_letter&num=1

Lies, Damn Lies and File System Benchmarks

,----[ Quote ]
| Recently there was a paper published by Avishay Traeger and Erez Zadok from
| Stony Brook University and Nikolai Joukov and Charles P. Wright from the IBM
| T.J. Watson Research Center entitled, âA Nine Year Study of File System and
| Storage Benchmarkingâ (Note: a summary of the paper can be found at this
| link). The paper examines 415 file systems and storage benchmarks from 106
| recent papers. Based on this examination the paper makes some very
| interesting observations and conclusions that are, in many ways, very
| critical of the way âresearchâ papers have been written about storage and
| file systems. These results are important to good benchmarking. And, stepping
| back from that, they make recommendations on how to perform good benchmarks
| (or at the very minimum, âbetterâ benchmarks).
`----

http://www.linux-mag.com/cache/7464/1.html

Recent:

0 A.D. Game Goes Open-Source

,----[ Quote ]
| Wildfire Games has decided to switch their development model for their
| real-time strategy title, 0 A.D., from closed-source to open-source. This 3D
| real-time strategy game is now having its code licensed under the GNU GPLv2
| and the game content is going under the Creative Commons Attribute-Share
| Alike license.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzM3OA

Rigs of Rods goes Open Source and Glest 3.2

,----[ Quote ]
| Rigs of Rods is going open source. How cool is that?
`----

http://freegamer.blogspot.com/2009/02/rigs-of-rods-goes-open-source-and-glest.html

Myst Online goes fully open-source

,----[ Quote ]
| In a startling move, Cyan Worlds has decided to release all of URU Live's
| assets to the public as open source. This includes the client and server
| architecture. Amazingly, they aren't simply releasing it into the wild and
| leaving it alone; Cyan has decided to hold one Myst Online server shard open
| for players to have a centralized world, despite the fact that others can now
| freely put up their own Myst Online servers.
`----

http://www.massively.com/2008/12/13/myst-online-goes-fully-open-source/

Cyan makes it official: "Myst" now in the hands of its fans

,----[ Quote ]
| So, Cyan has decided to give make MystOnline available to the fans by
| releasing the source code for the servers, client and tools for MystOnline as
| an open source project. We will also host a data server with the data for
| MystOnline. MORE is still possible but only with the help from fans.
`----

http://www.spokesmanreview.com/blogs/txt/archive/?postID=8731

Mobile Game-Based Learning project goes open-source

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.pocketgamer.biz/r/PG.Biz/mGBL+project/news.asp?c=10597