[News] HP Has Sub-notebooks Running GNU/Linux, OLPC XOs Spread to Classrooms

  • Subject: [News] HP Has Sub-notebooks Running GNU/Linux, OLPC XOs Spread to Classrooms
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 03 Jul 2010 14:18:56 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

HP linux netbook

,----[ Quote ]
| This is the HP Mini 100e, a netbook which
| looks are fully customizable. There's an
| option for SUSE Linux as the operating
| system. It's nice to see something different
| in operating system options, too bad the
| other 2 options are windows versions (XP and
| 7)
`----

http://www.handlewithlinux.com/hp-linux-netbook

Funky, Futuristic XO Classrooms on YouTube Cannal Ceibal

,----[ Quote ]
| It reminds me of a set from Dr. Who or the
| original Star Trek - all those primary colors
| for every object in the room. Very cool in a
| flashback kinda way.
`----

http://www.olpcnews.com/countries/uruguay/funky_futuristic_classrooms_on.html

Recent:

Students create video-chat program for deaf kids

,----[ Quote ]
| Students at the Rochester Institute of
| Technology created an open, free video chat
| program for deaf students to use with their
| One Laptop Per Child computer: "A paper on
| OVC's development will be presented to an
| audience of representatives from all around
| the world. OVC is also being demonstrated
| at a conference table throughout the
| event."
`----

http://www.boingboing.net/2010/06/21/students-create-vide.html

Microsoft and Tablets

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft may be left behind by the growth
| of the tablet market.
|
| In a few years, Apple has managed to make a
| space for itself at the center of the smart
| phone market. While Google's has joined the
| fray with the Android operating system more
| recently, their results so far are
| impressive and they're on track to carve
| out a good market share for themselves.
`----

http://whatwillweuse.com/2010/06/20/microsoft-and-tablets/

XO Laptops Revamped for Secondary School Pupils

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.laptops.co.uk/news/2010/Jun/xo-laptops-revamped-for-secondary-school-pupils-92335182.html